Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Florida

Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Acorn

Newbie gardener w/ a question (surprise! hehe)

Hello all. I would love to begin gardening and I want to start with miniature roses. I live in Southwest Florida. Now here's my question....would leaving my miniature rose in direct sun, especially this time of year (June/July), all day with no shade be ok? If not, then how do I make shade for it since I don't have any trees or shrubs around my house or in my yard?

I am going to plant them in pots, which brings me to another question...How do I determine the correct size pot for my flowers (roses or other flowers)? I would love to grow other roses in pots also, like this one -

http://www.heirloomroses.com/ebb-tide.html

but it's a 4' x 4' bush. Is that too big for a pot?

Anyway, here is the miniature rose I would like to start with -

http://www.heirloomroses.com/bees-knees.html
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Flower Garden

Love your selections! I grow miniature roses, not the micro mini's. Considering their size in the data sheet the ones you want aren't the micro mini's either.

In my experience my mini's love full blazing hot sun as long as they have enough water and good soil. Roses don't like wet feet so make sure the soil you used drains well. Roses come in flushes .. so I feed mine right after a new flush, about ever 2 weeks. Black spot is a real problem in South Florida so make sure you only water in the morning around the base of the plant and take care not to get the leaves wet. Feed after every flush of roses .. using a rose specific plant food and you'll probably want to pick up some insect and disease control. I use Spectracide .. I mix it up in one of those 32 oz spray bottles and spray on demand meaning I only spray when I start to see a problem. When you use it, make sure you get the undersides of the leaves as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Acorn

Thanks Xeolyte! I really appreciate the advice. Now I'm assuming that when you say "flushes", you mean they bloom basically all at once, then begin to die off...and only then do I fertilize them. Right?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Blossom

I can only repeat what Xeolyte just said. Excellent advice! I would stress the water issue at this point in time. I live in Florida as well and it has been VERY hot and dry. As far as potting them, anything can grow in a pot if it’s large enough. If you “bump” them up choose a pot at least three times the size of the one they came out of. That number may be off though; more knowledgeable people could correct me. It just happens to be from personal experiences lol.

I forgot to add to "dead head"! If you want bloom after bloom then take the old blooms off before they drop petals. Us Floridians have a great growing enviroment for roses. Dead heading will keep them blooming all season. Just bite the bullet and snip off the old blooms. You'll be rewared later for it!

Last edited by Zorfox; 06-08-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Flower Garden

Yes .. that's what I meant by flushes .. and Zorfox is right, I forgot to mention dead heading. On some roses, like the climbing mini Rainbows Ends, I wait until they start to brown because the flowers go through some amazing color changes as the flower ages and die. Here is a picture of the tail end of the latest flush, it started about a week ago and from the looks of things I'll be dead heading tomorrow or Saturday then feed them.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Vegetable Garden

bookwormsub, keeping them in pots would work if you make sure they have plenty of water since the pots are going to dry out fast. Could you sink the pots into the ground? this would keep the root area cool...
the pot size, if you get a one gallon plant, bump it up to a 3 gallon pot, or what ever size you get, re-pot in one size larger.

certain varieties will bring only disappointment. The roses that flourish in the northern states are best treated as long-lived 'annuals'. Enjoy them for 2 to 3 years and then toss them. they are really not all that expensive. If you want to have roses for the long run, google them for your zone 10.

of course there are roses that love Florida, the so called antique roses, old Bermuda roses, and of course the Knock-Outs.
Take a look at the Leu Gardens Rose garden, the zone is 9b, pretty close to your zone
for a cute mini, look for 'Sweet Fairy', but I can highly recommend the Seminole Rose and Herb Farm for their roses. I got mine from them 7 years ago, and they still do fine

keep us posted on your roses please

Gone Tropical's Garden
-->