Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Texas

Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Tree

Severe weather?

Just wanted to make sure all out texan friends are doing OK. Saw on the weather news last night that southern coastal texas was in for some severe weather. Hope all are well! Please let us know.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
PlantSwap Site Founder

We got a little bit of rain overnight here in Friendswood (but not as much as we need). I think Dolly is too far south of us to affect our weather much.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Flowering Shrub

I just heard on the radio a bit ago that it hit land with 95 mph winds and ripped off half of an apartment roof. If the levies break and anyone here needs a place to stay-LMK. I'm up in Oklahoma and we have sleeping bags and a floor if nothing else. We went to Houston to help after New Orleans got hit but everyone was under the impression that new houses were going to be doled out like welfare checks so noone wanted to come work and get established. It was a real eye opener. We had a large van that we drove 6 hours down there and not a single person wanted to have an opportunity to start a new life. We were very discouraged. I know that alot of people struggled and needed help but we sure didn't meet any of them at the dome. Walked around there for over 8 hours. Kids everywhere. I would've been afraid to have my kids in that place with all those people. Many indigent persons there that were on the streets before the hurricane hit. Most of the moms didn't even know (or seem to care)where their kids were!! They were running everywhere. I've never been in the situation-but I've been homeless before. We worked our way out of our situation. I would've loved for a family to commit to helping us the way we were offering to help-free room and board and help with babysitting from a registered nurse (who could lose her license to work for any crime in her home). I really thought someone would've wanted some help. nada.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Flowering Shrub

Smile

That is wonderful that you would open your home to those in need! I think those people at the dome must have been in serious shock. It was awful. I couldn't even imagine the complete devastation they were experiencing. God bless you!

*The wind of Heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse*
~Arabian Proverb
Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Flowering Shrub

Actually, it seemed like a huge party. Family were finding each other and the celebration was quite grand. People were either happier than they'd been in a long time, or they were trying hard to reconnect and wouldn't leave the area until they found their loved ones. Regardless-no one was leaving to start working at a job cause there was so much "help" it was quite hopeful that things were going to turn out just great! Both extremes of the spectrum-all related to the preservation of human life. Nothing else mattered. It was a lesson to us all-but the people never wanted to leave and get about the business of rebuilding their homes and protecting their families from any further harm. I cringe to think of the young girls that were molested there. Prostitutes were swarming outside but the kids were easy pickings for people who had evil intentions.
-->