Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Esteemed Nut

Wildfires in Texas

I just wanted to check in and tell those that know where I live, that I am all right. I have escaped this bullet, this time. The wildfire got to 1 1/2 miles from me. The smoke plume was always over me and the wind was blowing at 30- 40 MPH and humidity was at 12%. BAD fire weather. I have 4 close friends that have lost homes from the "Pedernales 1 fire" and about that many that lost them in the Bastrop fire. My husband's sister is threatened by the Steiner Ranch fire but I think she is off to the side of it's growth pattern. I climbed a hill yesterday only to see 5 huge fire plumes. It was truly surreal. It was like viewing one of those nuclear war movies

I am wasted physically and spiritually. The media and the officials did not let out any information beyond evacuation notices, so we set up an unofficial network of email lists, spotters, neighbors in effected neighborhoods (Ranches, and small neighborhoods in rural Texas) around the Pedernales 1 Fire. We got out info to these list. I live on a tall hill and with a short drive down a dirt road I could see a long distance so I was an unofficial spotter. Other ranchers would come to the spot and we always gossiped and info was traded. The officials were telling over the airwaves that there were fires where there were none and didn't even mention a blow out near me. I am tired. The media never diverted a traffic helicopter to make an observation. There was never a map of this fire. My sister , a journalist in Alaska said it sounded like the fire department was a small one and did not know how to communicate to media or everyone was out fighting. Whatever the reason, it was hair raising to be near this. Fires were popping up everywhere.

Please pray for East Texas and for Bastrop Texas. It truly is horrific. The Feds are taking over and telling volunteers to go home. Volunteers have been coming from all over texas, the south west. I don't know how I feel about this. It was volunteers with bulldozers that created a fire line around the park historic cabins that saved them. The fire is too hot to get close too now. The area is all tall pine trees that have been infected with bark beetles so there are gobs of standing 100'+ dead trees. Add the drought and the high winds. Yikes. I hear DC 10 tankers and tanks on the ground are coming. Bring the airplanes and big equipment, but don't tell the help to go home! I am sorry about my rant. I am very invested after this weekend and seeing things up close. There are a lot of pissed of people in the hills. I am wondering if this is the normal experience of a big fire.

The good thing is the wind has died down and we have cool weather after many days above 110 F. The delivery of the cool air was kind of tough and left much to desire.

-Mara

Last edited by marasri; 09-06-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Flowering Shrub

I don't really know you but holy cow that sounds horrible! I'm glad you are okay & you will all be in my thoughts for safety & here's to sending you some of our rain RAIN to calm those fires.
I'm glad you have friends & neighbors to help form a watch team to keep each other safe. It really goes to show that in times of sadness the good in humanity shines through

I've got to be honest, I'm a complete wimp. Just the sight of those fires would have had me moving out of there by sundown. Floods that leave you stranded & snow 5ft high I can handle, fires scare me!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Esteemed Nut

The wildfire I was threatened by is 7000 acres, The Bastrop one is 34,000 acres. Californians deal with this every year. This is the first time I have ever had to deal with it. Californians have some really impressive tanker airplanes for spreading retardants. I want them to visit us...... now.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
mara, sorry that you are so frazzled for a lack of better words and that you are dealing with all this stress. Sad that the officials can't get things straight and they are sending people home that could be used. Be careful I hope that rain comes your way soon.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Tree

Hope and will pray that this calms down very quickly and that all goes well.

Hope you have a nice day, and hope all starts going better.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Esteemed Nut

This will not be over till it rains. We, My entire neighborhood live in fear of sirens. We report on the email list where it stopped and people will check on it.

Thank you Mickey rose. You lucky dog. You got a bit of Lee or you would be like your neighbors north of you.. Those guy in northeast texas in the piney woods are in for it too. SO MANY fires. So many tall 100' + pine trees. Our wildfires are a little easier to fight, I think, even though the cedar is explosive, it is mercifully short.

I unfortunately live with smokers and now they have to smoke inside.YUCK! Weed eating and mowing has to be done with two people. one person watching for sparks and with a wet blanket. I am trying to mow and weed eat slowly my wild acreage to prevent the grass fires from moving into the crowns of the trees. I know, futile. My husband wants to cut our shade trees down around the house. Those are fighting words! Shade is a valuable commodity here, but we have been seriously scared. I will agree to trimming them back and plowing a ring around our house. This will only end when we get rain and we are forecasted for another dry winter.This drought is so bad. Gardening has become a defensive act.

I have been scarce on the forums because I am now a play pretend gardener. All talk no plants except for cactus. Tomorrow I am going to cut to the ground all the dead brush that was my lovely garden. Those that are still alive are so dry that they are only a pathway for fire to get into my trees.

I ran out of water over a month ago and I am now on bulk water deliveries until it rains and fills my cisterns. Thank god for super markets.

Last edited by marasri; 09-06-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
You and your neighbors are in my prayers. I feel so guilty thinking "rain go away" after having so much of it the past month. If I could I'd shift this band over to your state and let it go to town. Roads are once again closing due to flooding. You have trees burning up, we have them falling down due to so much saturation causing power outages. Possibly another 6" of rain til this finally moves off. Just what we didn't need. But that is far better than the absolute horror your state is experiencing. Such an imbalance. Heartbreaking. Please check in if possible and know we are all thinking of you.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Bush

Marasri, I feel so sad for you and all the others. My family live 30 miles from Bastrop Tx. and they are watching it also. Brother had to buy a 4X4 truck so he could get out of the driveway. It is so dry down there. Bedias Tx. just on the other side of Bryan-College Station has the fires also I have heard and alot of people are loosing there homes to. Will keep praying for you and for Texas to get the much needed rains .
Just keep strong and do what you can, But please don't wait to late if you need to get out.
Big hugs from KY.. but a Texan .Linda
Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Flower Garden

Prayers everyday for all of you out there, for much needed rain and to stay safe.

Please keep us posted!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Esteemed Nut

Mandy, your second dose of rain is from TS Lee. The winds that started the fires are also from TS Lee. Weird , Eh? Mickey rose was protected from the fires by the rain of TS Lee. Lee's a busy one.

Garden of Eden, I am a rational girl who thinks about the risks she takes. My neighbor , he is the same but he lives in a different situation. On a steep hill with cedar choked around it . His egress is down a cedar lined steep road that would have been on fire before his house so he leaves early. He would be headed into the fire and would have a long avenue of fire to get out to the main road. I have a flat field that I can drive on and a road to get to the road that leaves in three directions. I most likely will not be trapped in the same way. I would be headed away from the fire. my cars are parked with keys in the ignition pointed out. My purse is in the car. Everything is in the car. I plan on going but, I plan on fightting also. I also will turn chicken when things get really tough.

Of the 4 friends who were effected on Pedernales Canyon road, the ones that staid and fought till they ran out of water, have a house. But they left it also. It could be that that was the way the fire moved. The authorities have said they do not have equipment for protecting structures and aren't so that kinda leaves it up to the home owner. We expect government to take care of us, but they can't do it all. They shouldn't stop us from doing what we need to do. I am going to buy some Therma gel, A new spray on gel that stops fire. It is pricy but hey it is my house. Google it. Thing is that one has to wait till one knows the fire is headed to you definitely, because it is only good for 8 hours. This has been a multiple day event so the logistics of when one sprays it can be confusing. If I sprayed it on before the first evacuation order , I would be using precious water now to hose the dried gel off and the threat of fire is still there, I would be out $400 dollars.

That all said, today I feel safe enough to UN PACK MY CAR, leave and go to town.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Flowering Shrub

marasri, Thoughts & prayers are with you & everyone in your area. I'm up in North Central TX, the Possum Kingdom area, where we have been worrying with fires off & on since April. I can relate to what you are going through. Be careful friend.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Esteemed Nut

I was wondering about you because I heard that Possom kingdom had flared up AGAIN.I am glad to know that you are safe.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Bush

TV,, good to hear your ok for now. I keep praying all the rains will head for Tx. I can wait for another day for my rain...Take care dear..

Marasri..you have a good plan and so glad you can jump in the cars and head out safe. Just still be carefull out there. I am glad you can get out for now and go into town. Just drive safe..

Feardyn..hello and nice to see you.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Esteemed Nut

The wind has stopped blowing and the smoke is spreading out now. Austin is really complaining but most of the smoke from the fire near me is spreading to the SW away from me.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Prayers for you Mar...and all the others in that area or who might be affected by the fires...Praying for rain...and abundant of it...! This must be a horrible thing to deal with..so know you all are in our prayers and thoughts daily! Thanks for giving us update and so thankful you are ok...Many blessings...and prayers! MWAH!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
-->