Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 11:43 AM
PlantSwap Supporter

Who is from Central Texas?

In trying to identify members of this forum that are from Central Texas, let's say Waco down to San Antonio. Few people have posted where they are from in their profiles so this is hard to determine. This includes Zones 8 and 9a. If you are in this category, please post your location in your profile so it will appear on the members listing. Since Central Texas is a somewhat unique gardening environment, this would help in asking and answering questions or replying to posts for this region. Thanks.

Bob Beyer, NW Austin, Zone 8b/9a
Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 AM
PlantSwap Supporter

As a followup to my previous message trying to find other Forum members from Central Texas, does anyone in this region have Yucca pallida (paleleaf yucca), that you could trade? It is native north of Austin in Central Texas but I prefer to get an already cultivated plant division if possible.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Blade of Grass

Send a message via Yahoo to kancheta
I live in Copperas Cove. New to gardening in the area though.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Blade of Grass

I do have access to several acres that my husband owns and is not cleared with all native plants on it. There are a couple different Yucca type plants out there. Let me know if are interested.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
PlantSwap Supporter

Thanks Kancheta but I did find the Yucca pallida at a local nursery this spring - finally! I prefer to buy nursery grown natives rather than collect them in the wild. This yucca in particular is becoming threatened by habitat destruction, plus doesn't transplant well. Appreciate your offer to help.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Blade of Grass

Glad you found your plant. I didn't realize they were threatened. They are all over the place around here and Fort Hood.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Blade of Grass

another CenTex

Hi, another Austinite here. Only been on plantswap a few days but been gardening for about 8 years.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Esteemed Nut

I am an ex Austinite, but still a central Texan. I have given up the rich soils of central Austin for the crap of hills above Hamilton pool. I am still trying to figure out gardening. Its a whole new bag out here.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Flower

West Texan here...weird to be in same state and so far away!!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:38 AM
PlantSwap Supporter

Glad to see Central Texas Gardeners on line

I don't spend much time on forums, but PlantSwap is a winner!! Glad to see new folks from Central TX on board. For Shellee, don't despair, every region has it's own unique and beutiful environment, including the barrens of western TX. You have unique plants out there that I love but can't grow in Austin (e.g. Madrone). I bet you can grow Agave, Yucca, Cacti and related xeriphytic plants in your area very well. When I moved to dry Austin from wet Houston, I just went with the flow and adapted to growing the types of plants that do well in the local environment. For Marasri, I know you are in the limestone, caliche side of Austin but you also can do some very unique gardening in your area by choosing the right plants. Phoenixmoon, welcome to PlantSwap. I invite you to visit my website Southeast Texas Gardening at www.southeasttexasgardening.info . Contact me thru this site or by PM and hopefully we can do some sharing of ideas and interests for gardening in our neck of the woods. The reason I started this thread was to try to meet new gardeners in our central texas area.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Esteemed Nut

Yes, I love my Madrone trees. I have all of my madrones fenced till they get above a certain height. The deer eat them to the ground. A curse on those horned rats! We had a mountain lion around earlier this year and it cleared out some of them so I do see a little less damage. Gardening this year has been about protection from critters.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Blade of Grass

Wow! A mountain lion for the deer question- I love it! Mother Nature provides for everything. I didn't know there were any mountain lions wild in Texas still. Sure it didn't escape from Austin Zoo?

I am specifically in Sunset Valley, so maybe half-way between Marasri & Bob. Thanks for the welcome, everyone. This really is a terrific & unique forum.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Esteemed Nut

Yea, they are still considered an urban legend because there is no official study to catch and tag these guys and gals in the Austin Area. There has been lion kill appearing out by Hippy Hollow (on that ridge above) for 10 years. Pedernales River has one that has been up and down it. Shield ranch has spotted one, so that is 4 miles on either side of me. One has been seen crossing SW parkway by the wildlife preserve by a wildlife expert. An Urban legend raised the hairs on my arm with its scream/roar. "Officially" Texas has mountain lions only in the Big Bend, because that is the only place that they are tracking the population. I have a brush choked 100' gorge in the back of my land that gets even deeper on my neighbors tracks. perfect country for a puma.I walk with my eyes and ears peeled now. If you look in the acreage want adds , you will find add stating proudly that they are in LION country and right below it someone will be bragging about their "highly restricted "living. Gotta love it.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Flower

There are definitly wild mountain lions in West Texas. They have been known to attack horses and cows. My husbands uncle has video and pics of them at their ranch, and my son saw one on one of their hunting trips.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Tree

that makes my hair stand up...scary!!
-->