Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Acorn

Spiral Aloe

Hello...new person to the site. Was wondering if anyone near Central Texas has or knows where to find a spiral aloe vera plant? Perhaps a clipping? Any help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Tree

Howdy welcome to PS from S TX just outside Galveston.
I really hope someone on PS has one of these for you; maybe they'll have a little extra I've never seen a spiral aloe before, looks cool I want one too please - if you have one please pm me also I will send you my address also. Checkout my have list if interested in trade.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Are you talking about the Aloe polyphylla plant?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Tree

Seems to be the same thing I looked up on web, when searching for a spiral aloe.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Acorn

Yes! That's the one. Very rare.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
I had seeds, germinated nicely, then left the small plants on the balcony and over the winter they all froze when I left the window open and forgot about it over night
I am left with just one plant

Now all these GONE
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Tree

Bummer. how did you let that happen?
Not to say I have not done the same things with seedlings. Cuz I have.
Darn. just hate when that happens.

Thought for sure someone would have some to swap.
I Will keep searching; & Will be adding this to my WANT list; bc I just can't afford.
Calin good luck with the one you have left.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Tree

Wow! Did not know any of that. You are talking to a beginner gardener here; and no offence taken. I have never heard of this particular plant; but it looks pretty cool. If its that expensive its out of my league. I have not had many flowers that actually bloom. I have quite a few inherited bulbs; not sure of actual name, they were given to me from my husband's aunt before she moved to Atlanta. She gave me most of the plants I have & I have only been able to pickup new plants usually from friends or estate sales as long as they aren't expensive. The Hippeastrums; you mention (again have never heard of); so I Google it........ OMG. those blooms are gorgeous would love to get a few; but out of my price range.
But then again, I thought the same thing and never thought I'd own a BOP or an angel trumpet, because I can't afford to buy them; that's what drew me to the web to Plantswap & thanks to several WoNdErFuL PS members [you know who u r ] I have both.. Will also add Hippeastrums to my Want list, eventually I might find someone with. extras.

Happy Gardening.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by calinromania View Post:
I had seeds, germinated nicely, then left the small plants on the balcony and over the winter they all froze when I left the window open and forgot about it over night
I am left with just one plant

Now all these GONE
I am sorry about your little baby plants. Will you be trying again?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by Cathy Kantowski View Post:
Bummer. how did you let that happen?
Not to say I have not done the same things with seedlings. Cuz I have.
Darn. just hate when that happens.

Thought for sure someone would have some to swap.
I Will keep searching; & Will be adding this to my WANT list; bc I just can't afford.
Calin good luck with the one you have left.
I actually want one for a dear friend of mine. She loves her succulents and is completely head over heels for this plant. We found a place in Castroville, California that might have some, but I don't see myself going up there in the next few months. I wish you luck in finding one. :-)
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by Cathy Kantowski View Post:
Howdy welcome to PS from S TX just outside Galveston.
I really hope someone on PS has one of these for you; maybe they'll have a little extra I've never seen a spiral aloe before, looks cool I want one too please - if you have one please pm me also I will send you my address also. Checkout my have list if interested in trade.
Cathy, if I find a source, you will be the first one I tell. I have one or two on Etsy for $300, but nothing here in Austin so far. I will keep looking. Do you make it up to Austin often? Actually, how DO succulents do in Galveston? It would imagine it's a bit rougher since it's more humid?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
I also consider them let's say not-easy-to-find cause I have never seen them even mentioned on the Romanian forum I am a member of.
It was easy to come by the seeds (someone in the UK) and I had a pretty good germination (maybe because I had to many I didn't pamper them as I should have).
Now with one left, I will do my best to keep it alive. Which should be easy (if I don't have the smart idea to leave it outside again).
Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueaugust View Post:
I wrote a ... request for anyone in TEXAS ... who might have access to a single plant ... the spiral aloe ...
In light of your specific hopes to find this plant in your locality, I am relocating your thread to our Texas forum where it may get more attention from people residing in that state.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Acorn

Originally Posted by zuzu's petals View Post:
In light of your specific hopes to find this plant in your locality, I am relocating your thread to our Texas forum where it may get more attention from people residing in that state.
Thank you. I really do hope to find one.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Esteemed Nut

I do not want to be the one who rains on your parade but this aloe is not a good aloe to grow in Texas. It hates heat and it hates heat, oh, did I say that it hates heat. It is good for those who live in San Francisco or PNW. It is a very problematic plant to grow here. Even there they struggle. If I hear of anyone around here with success with this plant, I will be very surprised. I love to grow aloes and I am drawn to the fact that it is hardy but we have to suffer our heat much longer than our cold. I have dozens of aloe species. I amVery addicted to aloes because of the one that like heat are so easy to get through a summer here. They need some protection during winter cold fronts.

Tags
austin, spiral aloe, texas plant swap
-->