Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Esteemed Nut

most people in texas, especially those not in the cities are going through this.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Esteemed Nut

Thanks all (Lorax)for sending some of your excess rain this way . It just got here, All the way from Ecuador and it was still cold. We got .77" last night and maybe some more today. That translates into 1700 gallons of water in my cisterns that wasn't there yesterday afternoon. It was accompanied by nonstop lightening that thankfully did not touch the ground. I love lightening but as dry as it was before the rain, I was very concerned. There was a tornado vortex on the radio but I haven't heard anything about that. The rain cooled air smelled so good. Nothing like the smell of rain in a desert.

I would not call this a drought breaker. They say we need 6"-8" to break this drought and get our stream and lakes back. So don't stop sending the rain yet, You hear. I could get addictred to this water ...good stuff.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Flowering Shrub

Mara, I know exactly what you mean about this terrible drought. Here in North Central Texas we're having the same thing. We did get over an inch and a half Monday evening. Had some turbulence with it, but not anything too bad. A house a couple of miles down the road from me had its roof taken off. The storm was coming from the northwest . It ripped the roof off & deposited back to the northwest on a hill top....so it had to be a swirling motion for that to have happened. We had golf ball size hail. Beat the leaves off the trees & battered a lot of the plants in the yard, but guess that's what it takes sometimes in Texas to get some rain. I just heard the weatherman say that this is the worse Oct to June drought that we've had since they started keeping rain records back in 1895.
I, like many Texans have roots that run very deep in Texas & can not imagine ever living anywhere else.....We've endured severe weather in the past & I'm sure we will as long as we live, but when it is not severe (and it is not always) Texas is just about the best place I can imagine to live. My paternal line came to Texas in 1865 & my maternal line came here in 1833, before Texas was even a state. One of my 3rd great grandfathers & one of my 2nd great grandfathers were 2 of the first original TEXAS RANGERS in 1835-36. I read a letter that is stored in the Tennessee state archives that my 2nd great grandmother wrote from Texas back to her brother in Tennessee. It was dated July 1879. She hated Texas as much as the rest of her family loved it. In the letter she was writing about the terrible drought in Texas & how what little water they had "stunk". We may complain a bit about the drought & the gale force winds we've been having, it seems LIKE forever, BUT... we still love our TEXAS! And... how 'bout those MAVS!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Esteemed Nut

When I drove up to Cisco it was green compared to down here but they had one of those huge spring fires that started right accross the road from the location we were at.. This caliche is hard and drie stuff. It keeps the roots short. Maybe it was the sandy red dirt, but things looked a lot happier there. I think they had just gotten a good bit of rain. I am sure it is a distant memory now. I see the fires are starting back up just north and west of there.

I am a transplanted Yankee of sorts. All my roots have been torn up, cauterized and shoved into the hardpan down here. I went out and watered my garden, It was STILL DRY!!!!!!!!

Who are the MAVS?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Flowering Shrub

Sorry..........I forget that not everyone is a die hard Mavericks basketball fans like me. The just won the Championship for the first time ever!

I heard that more fires are going about 8 miles west of our area. I don't want anyone to get damage from a hurricane, but a hurricane maybe what it takes to move this High Pressure area out of here.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Esteemed Nut

8 miles, That is just way too close for comfort! How is the wind, today? It is not too bad down here. Did you get any of that rain on monday and Tuesday? The fire is not up on the wildfire map yet. I hope they get it quick!!!!! We actually have a bit of green coming up from the ground. It has been months since I have seen that, Like October. I do not expect it to last very long.

Texans are a very weird lot and yes we do pray for hurricanes. I think there is a whole state praying for a hurricane. And it is going to have to be a really spread out hurricane to get rain on to everyone who's is praying for it.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Flowering Shrub

The fires out west of us were not too big. I didn't hear anything about them on the 6 o'clock news, so they may have gotten it out. They have banned both the sale & the use of fireworks in our county & most of the surrounding counties this year. Thank goodness for that. The fires we had back in April really did a lot of damage around Possum Kingdom Lake, only 15 miles to the south. they fought that one for about 2 weeks. We had firefighters from 38 states working in shifts around the clock. Some of our friends who lived down in the area that was burning was getting ready to leave their home. They had been doing all they could to keep it away & were not having much luck. Just as they were preparing to leave a big Blackhawk helicopter dumped a load of water on the fire that was heading for their house. That was all that saved it.

The winds have been like nothing I ever remember in my life & I'll be 63 next month. I've never seen it blow this hard for such a long time. Usually by this time of the summer, we're wishing for a little breeze. Today has been about 35 miles an hour almost all day. We did get about 1 1/2 inches on Monday. Also had golf ball size hail. A house about 2 miles down the road from me got part of its roof taken off. The storm we got came out of the Northwest. The roof of the house was deposited back to the Northwest on a hilltop. So for it to end up in the direction that the wind came from there had to have been some swirling wind & not just straight wind. It seemed that the further east it went the worse it got. My son lives about 5 miles east & the area where they live got hammered a lot worse than we did.........BUT sometimes in Texas that's what you have to deal with to get some rain.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Esteemed Nut

Yes this wind just doesn't stop. Ours was less today but this year has been amazing never ending hot wind. My tomato cages are always blown over. I saw a fire down by where Mickey Rose lives.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Flowering Shrub

I hope they get that one toward MR out before it gets too bad. We drove over to Mineral Wells this afternoon & say a pretty big area of smoke up on top of a hill back to the southwest of Graham. Couldn't tell if it was like an oil well or what, but we could see big flames shooting up.
I think I could handle the heat if it wasn't for this non stop wind!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Esteemed Nut

4 that were large enough to matter, popped up in SE texas, from Northeast of Texas and east, yesterday. A fire in those tall pines is a dangerous thing indeed.
-->