Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Esteemed Nut

Be aware that there are several "invasive plant list" There are the lists put out by organizations that put on plants that are showing invasive tendencies and that they deem a problem. A lot of times these are not the official State list. For that you need to go to your state. Even there there are levels of legislative prohibition that range from suggesting that you not grow this to throwing your @ss in Jail and fining you gobs of money if you own, trade, or transport a plant.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Sprout

ban on elephant ears

I called Calloway's Nursery in my area- they weren't aware of a ban, but promised to check on this. the person I talked to said that nurseries are typically notified of banned or endangered plants and flowers to stop sales.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Sprout

ban on elephant ears

I'll post more info as I soon as I receive it. Bye for now.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Sprout

Elephant Ears

There is a list of plants that is proposed to be banned, just type in elephant ears to be banned in Texas and it will come up. Stella
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Sprout

ee's

Hi - I ,feel the same Robin. Plus, I just got some of the large ee's.
But, I always plant them in huge pots. That way , I can enjoy them and keep an eye on them.) Mistee
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Flowering Shrub

The article that I read on this subject was not that the ban had taken place, but that there was a huge list of plants on a list that they were trying to ban & EE was among them. I was unaware of how invasive EE were down south. Up here in North TX I do not believe they would ever get like that, because most of the time they freeze out up here.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Esteemed Nut

It is too dry here. and cold. Now we do have some taro growing in Lake ladybird in Austin in a few places . That taro root is different from EE. Related but different.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Sprout

reply to "ban?"

I've gotten the same answer from quite a few nurseries, and a county extension agent as well- elephant ears have the potential to be invasive, but its not likely in areas like mine that are on the dry side and reach freezing temps in winter. None of them said EE's have been outright made illegal, so I guess I'll plant my bulbs with a clear conscience. Thanks for all the interest and replies.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Blade of Grass

ban

Don't they require a lot of water! Maybe because we are still suffering from a drought & most areas are still under water restrictions.
Hello 1Robin0 from Dallas! I'm from the Big D & new on here too!
Kay
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Sprout

Hi! It,s good to hear from a "neighbor"! I found out that elephant ears can be invasive in warm, marshy areas like the coastal regions, but they are fine in our zone. I guess it's a good thing, because I really love them and didn't want to give them up. What kind of plants do you like? I like the heirloom varieties of flowers, and there's one I'm trying to find but not having any luck locating it. My great grandma had them in her garden. I guess it's a sentimental thing.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Blade of Grass

hi 1robin0

I like any & all flowers & plants! lol I hope you find your heirloom plants that your grandma had. It would help if you had some pics unless you know what the flowers or plants were. Good luck in your search.
Kay
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Sprout

Thats my problem-I don't have any pics of this particular flower. I'm pretty sure it's a Type of dianthus,but it's so outdated, no one knows what it is. I'm certain if I look around old west Dallas and Oak Cliff I may be able to see some growing in some of the older neighborhoods. I guess it seems kind of extreme going to these lengths to find a flower, but it means that much to me. People have done crazier things for less of a reason! I could draw a picture of it but I dont currently have a scanner to post it. What area do you live in? I'm in Pleasant Grove.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Esteemed Nut

I think our grandmother's plants will always hold sway over our hearts. I would love to grow peonies, Mountain laurel FROM up North, pussy willows, lilly of the vally, forcythia. Most are plants that don't grow down here on my limestone hill. I will only be able to smell them in my memories while I pull the needles of my cactus out of my shin.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Blade of Grass

1Robin0,
I live S of Dallas. My hubby has a shop in the Grove! Hey, we will have to meet there sometime if we decide to trade!
Marasri,
I feel for you! I would not like that kind of soil either. My Fredricksburg friend complains that the poor deer eat her good plants because there is nothing for them to eat except cactus. I guess they don't eat that. The drought was bad last year & especially to ya'll.
Kay
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Blade of Grass

old plants

1Robin0,
You might have your grandmother's old plants driving around in the Grove.
Kay
-->