Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Flower Garden

Why I Adore The GH In Winter

This is why I absolutely adore my greenhouse in winter!

When I'm freezing cold and can't get warm, I just step into the greenhouse and have an instant Summer! I swear that there is more oxygen in there as well because I always feel so clear and alert after being in there for a few minutes.

Here is another reason I adore the greenhouse in winter ..

On another note .. I cut my Creeping Gloxinia and took the pot inside the greenhouse .. that was about a month ago .. What was left were the vines .. a few have managed to stay alive without any source of water other than the air and the occasional rain .. the amazing thing is that it's BLOOMING. That bright healthy leaf in the picture is not part of the plant .. the Glox wrapped around it. Plants are amazing!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Flower Garden

your greenhouse plants look just wonderful. And with all the oxygen that the plants are producing I can understand why you feel so revived after being in there for a short time. You always have such excellent flowers. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Flower Garden

I know what you mean, all my windows and the plant room are filled to the brim this year. I just love it!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Flower Garden

The first couple of years I had my gh I didn't have all that many plants so I kept a chaise lounge in there and would lay out in my summer wear .. t-shirt & undies .. for an hour or so. It was heaven .. I stopped being able to do that about 4 years ago .. too many plants.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Forest

Smile

That is why they recommend house plants inside your home.. They clean the aire......I am trying hard..LOL
Beautiful an cozy green house there My place is like top of alps mountain in the winter.

However its home.

b
Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Flower Garden

Wish I still had one, mine was destroyed in a storm several years ago. So I've got plants in the living room, my bedroom, my bathroom and the kitchen. My sons tell me the house is a jungle and I have even started planting seeds yet,lol.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Forest

Smile

Originally Posted by Tess1893 View Post:
Wish I still had one, mine was destroyed in a storm several years ago. So I've got plants in the living room, my bedroom, my bathroom and the kitchen. My sons tell me the house is a jungle and I have even started planting seeds yet,lol.
Goo luck Tess

Skys the limit

b
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Flower Garden

Well tonight the new greenhouse and heating system will get it's first test. Suppose to be in the upper 20's for 3 hours tonight. Most of what's in the new gh are zone 8 hardy but there are a few guinea pigs which will let me know how things fare.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Flower Garden

Tess- my house and yours must look very much the same. It is tough for me to look out the windows and see the snow in the winter because the plants take up so much of the window space. Someday I will get that greenhouse built - I hope.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Flower Garden

Tess, seeds so soon? What are you starting? I start mine in late January on heating pads in the house .. I do them in 'waves' - once a wave has sprouted and developed true leaves they get weaned off the heat and put in the greenhouse then I start another wave.

I usually go through my seed catalog in late December to decide what I want to plant. It's going to be interesting come the middle of Feb. when the first waves gets moved out since I really have no room to put anything anywhere in the main greenhouse - My first wave is always morning glory and I'm already shuddering at the nightmare it will be by March with 24 mg vine seedlings trying to grab on to everything near them in the gh.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Flower Garden

Oh I can just see the Head Lines now - Woman falls asleep in green house and is strangled by blooming morning glories
They may even do a movie - Attack of the Morning Glories
Sorry I was just picturing you sleeping in your lounge chair and the morning glory plants on a growing spirt, checking you out.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Flower Garden

Lol! That's actually not too far from the truth .. I usually spend about 15 minutes every morning untangling them from each other and other plants.

Here is a really interesting video on YouTube showing a time lapse of a MG Vine looking for something to climb on .. it's amazing!

Twining Motion of Vines
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Flowering Shrub

Ohhhhhhh, a GH is on my bucket list! I would love to have one. My entry hall looks like a jungle. It gets the best natural light & I supplement that with plant lights. I do like the idea of plants helping the air quality.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Flower Garden

GH gifted me with another amazing flower! This is the tropical hibiscus "Love Story". There are lots of other tropical hibiscus yet to bloom! You'd think something so pretty would have a fragrance but it doesn't.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Forest

Smile

Beautiful indeed......
wish you were here Hibiscus
-->