Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Flower Garden

What's Growin On In September

I can't believe it's September already! I've been slowly getting ready for the first freeze and putting aside plants for the Fall Plant Swap in North Charleston. Yesterday a friend came over and we cleared out the area where all my pots are and organized them. Hurricane Irene prompted this since I had nightmares of plastic pots flying through the neighborhood when it's track was headed right for us. I really should have taken a before picture, but here is an after picture!

I started some seeds I received in mid summer for a Blue Silk Morning Glory. Other seeds that I had which were suppose to be Blue Silk turned out to be Rose Silk. It took a few weeks for this one to settle down to it's true colors and form. I like it, but it's not the traditional Blue Silk.

My Apricot Candy which hadn't bloomed in a while gave me a few more today - at this point, all but a few of the MG's are busy making seeds.

My Bleeding Heart, Clerodendrum thomsoniae is finally blooming - took it long enough. It's going in the trade away pile along with another one that hasn't bloomed but is pink and red.

The Blanche Sandman Honeysuckle is still blooming like crazy.

And here is my climbing rose, Rainbow's End, covered in dew.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Blossom

Wow- those are gorgeous! I especially love the honeysuckle- very tropical-looking!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Flower Garden

I just love seeing your pics, usually all new plants I've never seen before

I've got a question. I'm looking for alot of Hakonechloa macra ‘Aureola’ , or Japanese forest grass, gold. I'm hoping it will fill in around the base of my oak tree.

Would you have an idea where the best place for me to find these are at?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks .. sorry, but I'm not into grasses at all.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Beautiful pix, X.
That Lonicera is really cute.
Can't believe you are giving away your Clero thompso. I love mine. Was really tall, from table to ceiling but died in winter and now I have one of the shoots that came up from the roots. Bloomed long ago but still keeping the flower base (not sure about the name).

In my garden... I was trying hard to keep plants alive. Sooo dry. But we had some rain last night.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Bush

What' growing in Sept.

Fearadyn,
I have the Haconechloa macra aureloa in pots at home and it is one of my fovite grasses.
I believe there are quite a few nurseries selling this grass now.
Not living close proximity does help you with a slip, sorry.
Look at these sites.
[url]www.deerxlandscape.com
www.edelweissperennials.com

Hope this somewhat helpful
RC

Last edited by Richard Charles; 09-02-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Blade of Grass

Love your pics. the MG blooms are very pretty.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks! Cal I'm swapping away everything that doesn't WOW me anymore. Tired of spending time and energy on ho hum (at least to me) plants.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Flower Garden

Hey thanks! I'll check out those links~
Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
X, that makes sense!
I even threw away a jasminum and a passiflora (i think it was edulis???). They just didn't do anything. Didn't bloom. But they just grew longer and longer.
I could have traded them... but they were huge, and def. requiring a huge box too. Didn't want to go through all that trouble!
Did you ever throw away .... plants?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Flower Garden

Yes I have thrown away plants. I always try to give them away if they are easy to care for, but the more finicky plants get tossed.

Today's walkabout had a nice surprise! I potted up a Tropical Hibiscus cutting I rooted a few weeks ago that I received in trade and when I walked into the greenhouse it had bloomed! Didn't even notice bud. The flower is not the star of this hibiscus, it's the amazing multicolored variegated foliage! Meet Tropical Hibiscus "Mardi Gras".

These two are Theobroma cacao - Coco Tree. Next year they will be repotted into larger pots in Spring and I'm keeping my fingers crossed they will bloom. I've had them for about 2 years now and got them at a local plant swap. My biggest worry is how to winter them over once they get too big for the greenhouse.

The Split Personality MG - in Japanese the form is called Hige - Split petals, is blooming like crazy .. As I mentioned before .. the buds are just as pretty as the flower itself!

The Clematis pitcheri seeds are getting bigger and bigger! Can't wait for them to mature so I can plant them and get a plant from seed. The one I have now is from a cutting. I'm getting kind of nervous about them because I'm worried the squirrels might find them a tasty snack .. I'll probably bag the seed head in a few days since I've already seen squirrels making their winter nests and burying acorns.

Last but not least, the Lace Flower, Alsobia has been blooming all Summer. It's a ground cover but I'm thinking it will do ok in a hanging basket next year. I haven't decided yet if I really like it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Flowering Shrub

Everything you grow is so pretty! I especially like the Bleeding Heart, Lace Flower, Clematis pitcheri seed, & MG Bloom
Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Bush

What's growing in Sept.

Xeolyte,
You have a beautiful array of plants. I saw some of the coco trees, quite some time ago and they are very cool tree. Especially with the coco pods growing off of them. I saw many forms of Zingiber zerumbet's ( shampoo ginger's, I think the name is correct) what magnificent plants.
A Hibiscus called 'hula girl' , wish that I could have taken some cuttings of it.
I have three Hedychiums, not sure if I am going to keep them. I love them, but I have only had one of them flower for me. Maybe not hot enough or long enough growing time. They are Hedychium 'Tara', 'Dr. Moy', and 'Tahitian Flame'. I know that you have Hedychiums.
Wonderful to see what you are growing.
RC
Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Flower Garden

How the heck do you come upon so many incredible plants?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks everyone! - RC Hedychium gingers are late bloomers. They normally start for me in mid to late August. The length of your growing season may be the problem.

Fearadyn I get almost all of the plants via trades or work. Some of the work I do is photographing plants as well as growing out plants from seed - as an added extra bonus (at least to me) I can keep most of what I photograph or offspring of what I grow out. I'd say the vast majority is from trades with fellow gardeners .. The Mardi Gras hibiscus and the Purple Dancing Ladies Ginger I posted last month are from trades made here.

Everything I've posted was acquired within the last 11 years. When I moved to England for a few years I had to give up all my plants and seed collection and when I came back I started from scratch. To wheel and deal with the majority of purveyors who collect the weird, wonderful and strange you must know the Latin or you won't even get your foot in the door. I'm not that strict for the most part but won't give just anyone something dear unless I know they have the experience to make it thrive.

Last edited by Xeolyte; 09-05-2011 at 03:46 PM..
-->