Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Flower Garden

That is one of the perks of having a greenhouse - blooming flowers here and there all winter. Also when it's terrible cold outside I can step into a hot and humid greenhouse and warm myself up.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Flower Garden

Well we are doing preparations for building a greenhouse as we speak. Nothing fancy or expensive. It will be built with old storm windows and doors that we picked up on the side of the roads. Hope to have it completed by next fall. How big is your greenhouse and do you find there is enough room? I donít want to build and then find it is too narrow or short. I donít need huge Ė just adequate so I donít dump things over when I try to turn around or bend over.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Flower Garden

My greenhouse is a 6' x 9'. It was the perfect size the first 2 years I had it but now it's way too small.

The problem being I keep collecting more plants and the plants get bigger and bigger every year. My super big plants are now in my utility under lights on a timer. They are doing surprisingly well. The lowest it gets in there is 40 degrees and at least these guys are comatose unlike the ones in the greenhouse that are growing .. by the time Spring rolls around it's going to be a chore untangling everything.

This morning when I went to open it I noticed my Love Story Tropical Hibiscus is opening another bloom.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Blade of Grass

That's a nice greenhouse. Do you have to change out the plastic panels every so often? I was thinking of turning my backyard 'playhouse' into a greenhouse.

What do you do with it in the summer? Just empty it out?

Today is a gray day, but here is the picture of the playhouse. It is facing West, but gets sun all day in the winter.

Last edited by PlantSwapCookie; 01-08-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Flower Garden

The panels are polycarbonate and I haven't noticed any deterioration in them. My brother and I built it from a kit in Winter of 2004.

In Summer almost everything gets put out except highly invasive plants that I want fresh seeds from along with the really rare plants and plants not suitable for an uncontrolled environment. I'll also bring in plants I grow for clients who want pictures when a bud is about to open so the flowers won't have any environmental damage when I take the pictures.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Flower Garden

Xeolyte, do you find that 6 foot is wide enough for a comfortable center isle? I was thinking of making my green house about 8 feet wide by about 15 long. Am I think too wide?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Flower Garden

As far as size, the main thing to consider is how much it will cost to heat it.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Blade of Grass

Hmm. Why not build a solarium and have it indoors so you can share the heat and fresh air inside the house?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Flower Garden

I have thought about the heating of the greenhouse in the winter and my thought was to build a fire place into the north wall to provide heat. Electricity would just be too expensive and I would worry about leaving a kerosene heater unattended during the night. Our winters can get really cold, but we do have a lot of firewood available.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Flower Garden

PlantSwapCookie, a solarium is a wonderful idea but there is not house on the property where the greenhouse is being built. It is just opened swamp land and trees that we are transforming into gardens, ponds, and streams. No one lives there except the wild life.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Blade of Grass

I'll live there! lol
Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Flower Garden

Today I turned this:

Into this:

Since some of the timbers weren't exactly straight and somewhat bowed I'll be straightening them out over the next few weeks using long screws. Hopefully by Spring they'll all be the same level. I'm even considering making it deeper with another set of timbers .. It took with help, only an hour to do, 13, 8 foot timbers and 20 bags of soil - it's 24 feet long by 2 feet wide. Cost was around $100.00 for materials.

I was able to trade for some fresh seeds of White Sky Flower - Duranta erecta 'Alba' and that's what will eventually go in there. Haven't quite decided yet what I'll put in there this year .. probably some gladiolas and annuals. I've never grown the Sky Flower before and don't know how fast it grows from seed. I'm hoping they will grow enough to plant them there in late Summer. If anyone has grown it before I'd appreciate any info you have on it.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Flower Garden

PlantSwapCookie, come-on up. The animals are looking for new friends to play with. I need some help with the gardens and can use a few extra hands.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Flower Garden

Xeolyte it looks like you put in a lot of outdoor work today. Nice looking raised bed. I know your plants will be happy there. That is quite a big area for planting.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Blade of Grass

I like that long bed. You're giving me ideas!
-->