Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Flower Garden

What's Growin On - January 2012

Happy New Year everyone! Let hope the Mayan's are wrong and the end of the world doesn't happen on December 21st!

Fall was really wacky with temperatures going up and down .. it's happening again today .. high for today 70 .. then 3 night's into the 20's! I just got in from heavily mulching stuff in the ground I don't want to take a chance on losing.

My brother & sister in-law gave me a Lowes gift card for Christmas and I went out and bought my new bed yesterday including a 1.5 foot long drill bit for drilling holes in the landscape timbers so I can pound in stakes to keep them from moving. I'll probably put it together next weekend so it will have a couple of months to "cook". The bed is going where I had the Luna Pink Swirl Hibiscus. Here is what it looks like now.

My first bloom of 2012 is my pink Rain Lily!

And here is what my garden in the back yard looks like at this moment. I'm sure by Wednesday that the only thing green left will be the hedge rose and pine trees.

I finished up my list of seeds I'll be planting this year .. it's not set in stone so there may be additions and subtractions along the way .. now all I have to do is research germination info on the ones I'm not familiar with.

Come the end of January I'll certainly be busy!!!

I've also finally decided which Open Pollination seeds to do this years grow out with. I'll keep it under wraps until I'm ready to start signing up volunteers. Since there were so many problems with germination last year I'll be sending seeds on the verge of or already sprouting.

So what are everyone else's plans for 2012?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Blade of Grass

This is a wonderful backyard. What an ambitious list of bee and butterfly goodies!
We're having the same on-and-off-again season you are her in Oklahoma. Did you have the heat in the 110's like we did last year? I'm already planning for more drought and Heat.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks .. This summer was actually more moderate than usual. I don't recall any temps in the 100's .. upper 90's but not 100's. The weather has been so freaky here I actually saw a honey bee last week visiting a dandelion!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Blade of Grass

I need to wintersow my drought and heat tolerant edibles. I would love to stuff my yard with a jungle of plants. Does anyone have a yard like that? No lawn, just walking paths?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Flower Garden

I'd like to do that! I probably have enough plants but most of them couldn't stay out all winter.

I was at Goodwill today and found this awesome pot! There was an artificial ficus tree in it so I donated that back to Goodwill. Being senior day today I got 25% off and it only cost 8 dollars!!!!! I'm thinking one of my Musical Note Plants would look awesome in it!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks .. if it were in my power, I'd mail you our weather .. I've had way enough winter .. I'm ready for spring!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

That is a great pot X..when you get the musical note plant in it please post a pic..I love that plant.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Flower Garden

Can't wait to see all your new plants!! Gosh I've got lots planned for this season. As always I need good dirt, I've got so many new seeds I'll probably wind up making new beds for them all.

Also, I'll be hosting a daylily growout in Feb, so I'll be getting ready for that. I sure hope you'll be joining in!

I picked up a good shop light at Lowes for ten bucks and got natural sunlight bulbs and turned the craft room into plant storage for winter. So far it's working great. I think I want to get one more in there.

Winter has finally made his presence known up here and we actually have some snow staying on the ground, I'm betting we will be seeing some wild storms these next two months.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Acorn

Smile

Originally Posted by Xeolyte View Post:
Thanks .. if it were in my power, I'd mail you our weather .. I've had way enough winter .. I'm ready for spring!
I understand this well,am looking around for new plants to try out this year.go to try to some plumeria from seed,
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks everyone! Fearadyn for my large beds I used the $1.35 bags of lousy Evergreen supposedly Top Soil you get at Lowes and mix it up with extra peat and old ProMix. I have a big bucket that I dump all my old potting mix in when repotting plants then use that to blend with whatever.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Sprout

Wow you go girl, thinking of doing a large bed like you are doing...You gave me energy!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Flower Garden

Xeolyte you sure have a long list of plant that you are undertaking. I am still trying to get my winter jugs ready for sowing and sorting through seeds to put in them. Hope to have an awesome flower garden this year now that we have built a pond so I can get water to the plants. Our weather here has been strange this year. I just donít know what this year will bring. Hoping for the best.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Flower Garden

That list is my personal list .. I have 25 more to grow out and photograph for clients. This time next month, I'll hopefully have some seedlings ready to go in the greenhouse .. I usually start germinating my seeds the last week of January - I do it in 'waves'.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Flower Garden

The Shrimp Plant, Justicia brandegeana that I got in last Springs plant swap is blooming .. now that I have a flower I'm pretty sure the cultivar is Red Pinecone.

And the Bougainvillea, Raspberry Ice, Bougainvillea brasiliensis is blooming as well! I love the variegated foliage.

I have another Bougainvillea that's a NOID. I cut it back severely in the fall when I put it in the greenhouse and it started leafing out a month ago and is now blooming!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Flower Garden

You certainly have a green thumb. I would love to see flowers in the winter time Ė other than the ones I have to buy at the store. However, I do have to say that the peach hibiscus that I brought into the house to over-winter did bloom for me at Christmas time. It brought a gift of smiles for sure.
-->