Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Critter Rescue Angel

I have heard to place a glass jar over it when you stick a cuttin in the ground, in the sun.

X, did you get my PM?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Flower Garden

I've tried the jar method too .. I don't think there is any method I know of I haven't tried.

Yes I got your PM .. the thing is, I'm not in a position to be trading plants right now .. as soon as I get the backyard finished I'll get started on that .. I've started making the trellises today for the passion vines and after I get that done I need to plant the 5 split rail bed posts plants and the front side bed with the Castor and Thai Red Hibiscus .. I'm thinking about another week or so .. holding off on planting them until they get a bit bigger. Also, Iochroma isn't the easiest thing to root and Gone Tropical will tell you.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Ok thats no problem at all I just didnt know if you got it since you did not answer..thank you for letting me know.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Yup, roses are care-free to me when it comes to rooting them.
Really.
I do it late summer/fall, PET bottle on top, lid off and when I water my flowers in the garden I also pour water generously in the bottle hole.
Most of the roses DO root. I never lift them, cause I only root very few... in the spots I want them to live.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Flower Garden

Yea I want to give that a go this year, I read you just dig a hole, fill it with sand, get the sand damp, dip your cutting in rooting hormone, put it in the sand. Put a cut in half green plastic bottle with the lid off over the cutting and do what Calin does. I guess the green plastic won't fry them like the clear.

We will see, I do have hope!!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Flower Garden

Had a bit of a fright this morning .. when I got up it was 38 degrees with frost! Luckily nothing seems to have been frostbit! .. just a few days ago it was in the 90's! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now .. I finished up making the arches out of the masonry ladders for the passion vines this morning! They are amazing and working out better than I'd dreamed! Only things left are the plants for the front yard.

Here is the key to what's planted:

The MG Frame is all planted up too!

Here is the row of plants in the back yard .. some are waiting to be planted and some will stay.

These guys will be going up front .. Castor, Hibiscus sabdariffia, Thai Red and Moon Vine - I'm waiting for the Castor to get a bit bigger before I plant them out.

The Woodlands Corner is really filling up! Looking great!

And the African Violets absolutely love where they are and blooming their heads off!

I still can't believe how far the garden has come along and it's the beginning of April! Usually by this time of year I'm in the middle of things rather than the end!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Flower Garden

Excellent work!! Man I've got to find those mason ladders this year!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Bush

Some photos of flowers in bloom in yard and in home.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Wow, X,... everything is so neat and meticulous! Don't think I could do THAT!
RC... great Erythroniums... would send you some white ones for some pinks... but i doubt the bulbs can make it alive!
Rhodos...mmm... been germinating seeds I got from Canada
The Trillium seeds are still "sleeping" - I read somewhere they develop underground for a year before poking through the ground - you have no idea how much I try not to dig down to check!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks Cal .. it's a lot of work but I love the results.

Trilliums from seed require a lot of patience .. I planted some 3 years ago and still nothing.

I had a couple of "frost" scares for the last two night but luckily nothing got frost bit .. hopefully this is the very last of the cold weather for the season.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Got my hanging baskets yesterday..the nursery down the road gave them to me in advance as a birthday gift!

The veggie seeds are coming along good.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Flower Garden

Love those hanging baskets - and your veggies look great! I gave up trying to grow veggies because of all the wildlife and bugs.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Flower Garden

The squirrels are killing some of my MG seedlings in the containers for the frame and in pots .. they keep digging them up! I've put some chicken wire over everything .. hopefully it will keep them from getting to them!

The ground is finally warming up and things are really starting to take off. Out of all the Sweetpea seeds I planted only one survived and it finally bloomed. Don't know the cultivar and it doesn't have much of a fragrance.

I've got some Red Salvia in a hanging basket .. I'm keeping an eye on it since it's a hummingbird magnet .. when I start seeing them visiting the Salvia I know it's time to hang the feeders out.

The Hoya carnosa surprised me with a bloom!

And the Perilla Magilla that I got during the last epic plant swap in North Charleston last Fall is growing like crazy. It looks like Coleus but it's not .. same family though. I love the coloring and patterning.

I have bunches of rooted cuttings to swap .. looking for some rooted cuttings of interesting coleus - PM me if anyone is interested.

When I walked into the greenhouse a few days ago there was a really nauseating and terrible stink .. I thought something had died! Turned out to be Proboscidea_louisianica - aka Devil's Claw .. flower is gorgeous but STINKY!

-->