Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Flower Garden

What's Growin On - April 2012

Well I've been working like mad, planting, mowing and trimming and finally can say I'm finished .. the back yard looks utterly awesome!!!!!!

Ha Ha April Fools! That's one of the gardens at Versailles in France.

I wish! I've still got a long ways to go but here is what the backyard looks like today.

The Indian Pink, Spigelia marilandica bloomed! It will finally be put in the ground this year in my Woodlands Corner.

The Wine Red Iochroma surprised me and bloomed!

Along with my NOID Kalanchoe .. if anyone recognizes the flowers and can give me a name I'd appreciate it.

And one of my favorite roses bloomed, X-Rated - it's a mini rose .. but not the micro mini.

I've got 18 of the 30 some odd Morning Glory planted now .. still have the Frame and the split rails out front to plant with them and haven't had time to get around to planting the round bed with the column in the middle .. I have all the plants I'm going to use .. just not the time with everything else I have to do!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

X, everything looks great! I love the Wine Red Iochroma! I just bought a Purple queen and cant wait to see it bloom..I would like to get the blue and the red also. I think the guy is sending me a bonus fushia one with it so that will be neat.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

LOL I loved your April Fools picture..cute!
Your yard and flowers are awesome! Blessings

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Tree

X
wonderful pic; and wouldn't it be cool to have a garden like that.
You plants are awesome especially that rose.
We finally just got a few Roses transplanted from our old house; to the new one. Its been over 2 years since we moved; and left them but they bloomed like crazy uncared for, they haven't. been cut back in quite a few years. Will be interesting to see if they bloom this year after moving them across town.
We'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Flower Garden

Good April Fools~beautiful! I only got one in today, I had David believing he had a big tick on his back~
Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks everyone! Cathy, if you're good at rooting rose cuttings I'll be happy to send you some of the X-Rated .. I've tried for years to root rose cuttings with no success.

I finally planted the Round Bed yesterday .. It has Salvia, 4 O'Clocks, Linaria and Pink Hawks Beard in it - doesn't look like much at the moment but hopefully when everything grows up it will look great!

The Rainbow's End mini climber is blooming it's head off .. I have three and don't give them anything to climb on so by mid summer they look like fountains!

What I thought was a Cybister Amaryllis turned out to be a double green .. must have gotten the tags mixed up .. I normally don't grow amaryllis but this guy is definitely a keeper!

I also got the final bits of the greenhouse cleared out and set up the plant deck for the tropical hibiscus. After looking at the picture I really need to spray paint that blue thing another color .. just doesn't blend in very well.

The MG "room" has been planted and everything looks happy .. Fearadyn I can't wait to see what your seeds will do!

And the Window Boxes out front are really starting to fill in. This picture was taken just outside my front door.

Last edited by Xeolyte; 04-03-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Flower Garden

Wow! Look at you go, they are all amazing! Everything looks great and is set for an awesome show!

I know but at least you are growing them so I get to see what they look like early~

I've been working my buns off creating an inground veggie garden (my David wants corn which did not do well in the raised bed, so corn it is, and I want to grow quinoa ) in the only place on the land with good dirt, around the greenhouse, so I'm putting up a three foot fence to keep puppys out of it. Using scrap six foot scrap fence boards that I am cutting into sections. We just got the support posts cemented in this last weekend and some fence panels I made up. I'm also going to try my hand at making a wood trellis archway for the entrance~I'll get pics when I'm almost done!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Flower Garden

Definitely want to see pix of your veggie garden! Today I'm working on putting the morning glory that goes on the frame in and got the woodland plants in the ground. Hope to get to the arches with the passion vines on it as well today.

With yours, it will really be interesting to see if what we think is the Yojiro cross carries over into this generation.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Blossom

Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Here is a couple of pretty daffs in bloom now. If you look at the middle part of the bloom it has a pink hue to it with the yellow..when this daff first opens it is mostly yellow an it turns pink as the bloom matures. You can see how the one on the left is more mature then the one on the right.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Tree

X
I wouldn't say I am familiar with rooting roses either. I got most of my roses for mothers day or bday. gifts; I am not fond of the thorns but love the blooms. Your *Rainbow's End mini climber** is beautiful, when you tried rooting them did you use a rooting solution? I woold like a few clippings and I will see if I can get it rooted. (Will pm my address). Check out my haves and see if you see something you'd like for trade.

I saw my first rose bud on my smallest bush, and there are two others as well can't. wait for them to bloom.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Flower Garden

Cathy I've tried every method I could find with no success .. and I keep trying.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Tree

I wonder why roses are so hard to root?
Anyone know?

Dont bother sending; I will keep my eyes out around here locally when lowes or Walmart throws them on sale. We have our annual plantswap next month, I Will post to that group with a few inquiries .
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Blossom

Originally Posted by Cathy Kantowski View Post:
I wonder why roses are so hard to root?
Anyone know?

Dont bother sending; I will keep my eyes out around here locally when lowes or Walmart throws them on sale. We have our annual plantswap next month, I Will post to that group with a few inquiries .
Right now my local big lots and family dollar stores have roses for sale.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Flower Garden

I don't know why they are so hard .. I know some people that can cut a stem, shove it in the ground then dig it up with roots 6 months later .. I even tried that - they all die on me.
-->