Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Flower Garden

A Very Good Day and a Nap Too!

I spent the morning with a helper dividing crowded plants and potting up new acquisitions just out of quarantine along with potting up plants I already had in bigger pots .. it took 4 hours from start to finish and we used about 20 gallons of potting mix.

If you ever need helpers in the garden just put an ad on Craigs List under barter, Garden Help in exchange for Plants .. Every time I do that I get more people applying than I could ever want! That's how I manage to do a lot of my heavy duty gardening that requires muscle. Todays helper went away with a Dwarf Cavendish Banana pup, two abutilons, Souvenir de Bon and Marginata, Crocosmia bulbs (with a stern warning NOT to put them in the ground) and some Black Runner Elephant Ears. She was pleased and I was as well .. she turned out to be an excellent helper .. eager to learn and learned very quickly!

So after she left I had some lunch, took a shower, watched some Babylon 5 and an afternoon thunderstorm started rolling in so me and the kittehs decided it was nap time. I woke up about an hour and a half later (kittehs said they wanted to sleep at least until gooshy food dinner time) and took a walk outside. The first thing I looked at was the rain gauge .. I had emptied it this morning.

Just shy of 2.5 inches!!!!! Yaaaaayyyyy!!! Don't have to hand water this evening.

The next thing I notice was not a yippee or a yaaaaaayyyy. My Corkscrew Vine fell over. I was using poles that I get from my Confederate Rose Bush/Tree every year - it loses its leaves in winter and come spring I'm left with some beautiful straight poles which I cut off and use in the garden .. they had snapped - must have had a microburst! I'm just gonna leave it right there - it will eventually work it out that it has to grow a bit differently .. at least it didn't snap the stems.

All in all it was a very good day.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Tree

I wonder if theres houseplant ones on craigslist?

It rained here today, but no storming yet. It is supposed to tomorrow though.

Sounds like a decent day hope your vine does good after being turned over.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Hey X, sounds like a great day for sure!
What a neat idea to find helpers on craigs list, I may have to try that. I am glad she worked so well for you and she got some great plants also..such a nice exchange.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Blossom

I love it when days just “click” like that. When I look back on those days nothing was really different. Essentially it was the same things I do and see over and over. For whatever reason, I think it’s my perception, it just feels right. The grass is greener and the air fresher. Its odd how you found your corkscrew vine toppled and not only did it not bother you, you turned a negative into a positive. What a day indeed! I wish I could learn why those days happen and reproduce them. They come few and far between. I’m glad you had one of those days Xeolyte!

Last edited by Zorfox; 08-06-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Old 08-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Esteemed Nut

Not fair , I want that rain. I bet it wasn't 107 either.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Flower Garden

I feel for you Marasri - what you said about not being fair brings me to one of my favorite quotes by my favorite character on Babylon 5.

I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life “were” fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. Marcus Cole, Ranger - B5

And you're right Zorfox, yesterday was one of those days where everything clicked perfectly in time .. I too wish I could capture more of them. I don't think anything could have disrupted the harmony of yesterday. The keeling over of the Snail Vine only got a "meh" out of me! When I did my walkabout this morning I noticed it was already adapting to it's new position. Plants are amazing and so forgiving and resourceful!

And like Marcus said, I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Blossom

Yes life isnt fair but when you side of the scale is over theres it evens out, we all wish it were even all the time but then we remember earth was here before us so we adapt, wish i had more rain too but hey i had buckets of rain water to last
-->