Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Flower Garden

A Roller Coaster Called November

This has been the strangest Fall I can ever recall in my lifetime. I have no complaints whatsoever! The temperatures have been like a roller coaster. Well have about 5 or 6 days in the mid to upper 70's then 2 or 3 days with the temperatures in the upper 50's to low 60's. Then back again into the 70's. Right now were going into another dip with the high tomorrow of upper 50's, but by Sunday we'll be heading back up again! Suppose to be in the upper 70's, by Monday!

I still have a few more chores to do before I'm totally done with outside stuff and all that's left is maintaining the greenhouse. Once I get those done I'll start the garden classes as promised. Those interested let me know if you think they would be better in the Social Group part or general population.

Meanwhile, the greenhouse is already gifting me with gorgeous blooms to remind me of Summer. My Tropical Hibiscus 'Love Story" opened up a bloom this morning which was totally unexpected! I never even noticed the bud!

My steady Winter Bloomer, the Orange Ice Geranium has started up. I've had this plant going on 4 years now! Started it from seed and always keep it in the greenhouse.

And look what I got! My neighbor on the other side of me who didn't catch me flapping my wings likes to go to yard sales .. she'll buy stuff til her garage is full then loads it all up in her car and takes it to the dump!!! Unbelievable! Well I caught her loading up the car the other day and managed to snag these two items before they got tossed. I'm already making plans to use them next Spring The column is 4 feet tall and hollow inside so I took a broken chain link fence post and pounded it into the ground then put the column over it .. I can already see a pot stuffed with Shidare - Weeping Morning Glorys on it - probably the Sunsmiles. The folding screen is still mulling over in my brain - any suggestions would be welcome

Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Bush

The folding screen seems to call out for passionflowers, Akebia quinata, and kiwis, but that's just me....
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Flower Garden

Definitely some kind of vine .. I'm also trying to decide if I want to put a mesh in the holes so the vines can go straight up or leave them empty so the vine climbs around them .. I'm leaning toward leaving them empty.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Flowering Shrub

Nice!
I'm not good at remembering these things, but don't you have snail vine? I would put that on the wooden screen, sans mesh
Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Flower Garden

Good idea Minty .. I'm thinking Snail and Corkscrew Vine without a mesh.

Well after 2 days of freezing to death we are going back up! Tomorrow mid 70's Monday upper 70's!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Flowering Shrub

56F today, 57 tomorrow & 54 Mon so warmer but not warm
Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Flower Garden

The high here yesterday was 48!!! It would be interstellar if the whole winter stayed like this! The problem though is the garden is very confused! I've held off cutting down perennial frost burnt plants because I'm concerned that by doing that the warmer days would encourage new growth! I unfortunately cut back the hydrangeas after the first hard freeze and they are starting to leaf out again!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Esteemed Nut

70's and 80's here. we flirted with on night around 40 but our lows are d*mn Floridian at 65 right now. Maybe a slight cool down for thanksgiving but not much. Leaves are turning, weather is gorgeous. Good time to be a Texan. Swimming tomorrow again. A little overcast, but nothing a Yankee would not swim in.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Flower Garden

Ok .. this is just down right WEIRD. It's 82 degrees outside right now!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Esteemed Nut

I am sleeveless and shorts working up a sweat moving wood for a 16' slider I am building.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Flower Garden

I have my summer gear on .. t-shirt & undies - dug up all of my Hidden Ginger out front this morning for dividing .. actually kind of nice to be sweating near the end of November.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Esteemed Nut

A year ago I was running around with my head cut off getting ready for a dive ino the low 20's. Nothing below 50 is for casted for over a week. Mostly highs in the 80-70 and lows in the 60's and some in the 50's. I keep waiting for the floor to drop out from under my feet.

Last edited by marasri; 11-21-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Flowering Shrub

Swimming?? We haven't seen 80 in over a month.
It's supposed to be in the 50's all week & raining, lows in the 30's. Boo.

This month is so confused that it was the high yesterday at 6am & got colder from there *sigh* the high for tomorrow is 58 - the low is 55.

Last edited by mintygirl; 11-21-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Bush

I'm with mintygirl on this one. Are you guys trying to kill us here? Rub it in our Faces? What I wouldn't give for a 70 degree day right about now! I still have concrete work I want to get done, and it just isn't warm enough to do it. Shorts and tank tops and swimming? LOL Maybe about June. I've already dug out the thermal shirts and fleece pajamas. Even so, I have to admit for November the weather has been strange, we should have had colder than it is, so I am thankful for that. I'm not yet into the 2-3 in mud either and I'm still wearing my tennis shoes to feed the chickens and horses. Always a plus!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Flower Garden

I'm just hoping it stays like this til Spring! I don't think I've ever had to mow the lawn in the last week of November before .. but that's what I'm about to do! Another upper 70's day here.
-->