Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Flower Garden

One Bed Down 4 To Go ...

This week I decided to dig up the HHH Bed (Horrible Holly Hedge - used to be a horrible holly hedge here) and add new soil. Here is what it looked like the first week in August.

I dug up everything in there, Caladiums, Leucojum, Chinese Ground Orchids and Hydrangeas then added 9 bags of top soil this morning - that wasn't an easy job! In digging up the Hydrangeas yesterday, I cut them back, root pruned and gave them the Xeolyte Spa Treatment overnight - essentially submersing the roots in water with quarter strength fertilizer. That works really well for roses and seems to lessen transplant shock considerably if not completely.

Then I replanted everything except for the Caladiums because they aren't hardy in my zone. I went from 4 to 3 Hydrangeas. Looking good!

Here is the key to the bed (I map out all my beds for reference)

I decided to put the Leucojums on both sides of the Hydrangea because they totally die back by the time the Hydrangeas start kicking in. I would have like to put some Crocosmia in there but they are just too invasive. I might consider burying some pots of them.

I have 4 other beds to do .. the biggest being the Ginger Bed .. I'll be digging that one up completely and adding new soil and dividing. I won't be doing it until we've had our 2nd hard freeze. I'll be offering up bunches of Gingers when that happens. Butterfly, Hidden and Spiral.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Bush

good job! looks good..i recently tore out some ugly boxwoods that were in front of my house...whew that was a hard job ended up being 12 plants that combined and made one huge giant...it was sure a beezie to dig out..looks so much better now i have all my cool containers out..good luck with the other beds u must conquer
Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Flower Garden

When the HHH was taken out some of the trunks on the bushes were over 4 inches wide! They were cut as level to the ground as possible since there was no way I could ever dig them out and I put down weed cloth over all the whole area then dirt. The weed cloth kept them from coming back from the roots .. worked out really well. No shoots ever showed up in the bed.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Bush

yea there was no way to dig out all roots/stumps from the boxwoods...i should get some of that netting.. i just cut the stumps levelish to the ground n set down pavers they fit perfect...there was no way to work that soil...
Old 09-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Flower Garden

That looks great! I've got to redo some of my beds also, got some extra energy you could send me?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Flower Garden

Wish I had some extra energy .. when I ran out of energy yesterday I spent a few hours in the afternoon replacing the power supply in computer - that is really an awful job because of everything in there and you have to snake your hands and fingers around cards and hard drives just to get where all the plugs are - the worst was a plug behind my CPU cooler .. it's that copper thing in the picture - all those cooling fins are sharp too! Then you have to tuck in all those cords neatly so they don't interfere with fans and the ability to put the sides back on the case. I managed it without too much aggravation. Now computer is humming along nicely. Out of all the computers I've built from scratch over the years, this is the first time I had a power supply go out on me.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Flower

It looked great before and after . Your muscles will let you know you still have them the day after.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Wow, I love "projects".
I've been lazy this summer... too hot, garden lookind awful (drought) so I didn't feel like doing much. Maybe now that fall is here, clouds and hopefully some rains...
-->