Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Flower Garden

North Charleston 9th Annual Spring Swap Booty

Today was the 9th annual plant swap in North Charleston! Came home with some nice plants and pots n stuff!

I'm thinking this might be Polka Dot Begonia, Begonia maculata var. wightii

I know this is Lemon Balm

And this is Mexican Hydrangea, Clerodendrum bungei

Also picked up some Four O'Clocks .. the interesting thing, squirrels dug up and killed one of my Four O'Clocks I grew from seed so I had an empty space in the Round Garden and had started more seeds so I was delighted to find Four O'Clocks at the swap essentially the same size as the others! Like they say, "you always get what you need when you need it"!

Here is a NOID Coleus .. if anyone recognizes the Cultivar, please let me know!

And I picked up two mystery plants .. hopefully someone can ID them. The first one has fragrant leaves when you rub them. The second one was a real surprise when I started to pot it up. The person who brought them just threw some dirt in a pot and poked some cuttings in the dirt. Jeeeze!

Also you don't have to bring just plants - any garden stuff is acceptable so I picked up some great pots and little "pot feet".

Everything will remain in quarantine for a few weeks before they get put out with the general plant population.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Flower Garden

Great find!! Love those babies, especially the poka dot begonia~I'm getting excited, looks like I can put my seed in the ground starting monday!!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Hiya X! WOW!! Looks like you had a fantastic time at the swap and brought home some terrific planties!
Okay, you probably already know this, but keep a sharp eye on that C.bungei, if it gets happy in the ground, it has a tendency to "wander" (underground). I've seen it shoot up as much as 10 feet away from where I planted it.

Originally Posted by Xeolyte View Post:
Unless I am mistaken, I think this one (above) is actually the purple form of Perilla frutescens (aka purple Shiso or purple Japanese "basil").
I tried cooking with it, but learned that I prefer it as an ornamental. Be forewarned, it self-sows like crazy.
It is easy enough to pull out when it comes up where it's not wanted, so I don't resent it too much and allow a bit of it to grow here or there each year.

Oh, and speaking of rampant self-sowers - lemon balm ... ... uh huh.

Quote :
And I picked up two mystery plants .. hopefully someone can ID them. The first one has fragrant leaves when you rub them.
This one (below) definitely looks like a basil of some sort, to me - maybe it's culinary quality,
or maybe it's one of those that's better suited to growing as an ornamental/aromatic (like African blue basil).

Quote :

Now this is a total shot in the dark on this last one (above), but I'll just say that the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your pic was that it reminded me of some Aptenia cuttings that someone shared with me once.
If that should happen to be the case, not to worry, they will ALL be rooted in no time flat.

Once again, congrats on all of your new babies, and happy growing!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Flower Garden

Thanks for the warning on bungei - didn't know that it's not well behaved .. will definitely be going in a container then. And thanks for the ID's. I took a taste of the basil and it burnt my tongue and made it go numb. It was a tiny taste and I immediately spit it out. As to the other, the Perilla, I'm delighted to have another one since I already have the Perilla "Magilla".

I took some NOID Hosta, Dracaena marginata and Perilla "Magilla" as well as a Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana pup and a 4 foot high Dracaena marginata that had outgrown my ability to keep it going in the winter. All of the plants I brought were taken by the third round of plant grabbing.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Xeolyte View Post:
Thanks for the warning on bungei - didn't know that it's not well behaved .. will definitely be going in a container then. And thanks for the ID's. I took a taste of the basil and it burnt my tongue and made it go numb. It was a tiny taste and I immediately spit it out. As to the other, the Perilla, I'm delighted to have another one since I already have the Perilla "Magilla".
You're most welcome.
It's wandering habit notwithstanding, I think you'll enjoy growing the bungei, so long as you can keep it reined in. It's really quite lovely, especially when in bloom. I keep some potted myself these days (and I keep the pot set on a concrete slab to avoid escape through drainage holes).
Each year, a few shoots still come up in my garden from the original planting. It's fewer shoots each year, so I do think I'm winning the battle - but I have the sneaking suspicion that bungei is just biding her time and waiting for me to let my guard down.

Your description of the nasty "flavor" of the basil reminds me of how I feel about the African blue basil that I grow, and I still wonder if your plant could be that variety - a difference in the one you have pictured is that the foliage doesn't have the dark veining that I usually see in my African blue. Perhaps that could result if it were grown in less sun - or maybe it is simply another "hybrid" with inferior flavor (you know how those members of the mint family are prone to interbreeding *lol*). Still, some of them make very pretty, free-flowering garden plants.

The Perillas (more cousins from the larger mint family), also make attractive accent plants in the garden, and no pesky underground runners.
Now that you already have the purple frutescens and colorful 'Magilla', you will have to find a snippet of 'Magilla Vanilla' to add to your collection (don'tcha love that name?? ) Like 'Magilla' (but lacking the purple coloring) it is VERY similar in appearance and growing habit to their other cousin, Coleus.

-->