Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Flower Garden

N. Charleston Fall Garden Swap Goodies!!!!

Had a wonderful time as I always do! There were over 100 people there and a guestimate of about 1000 plants!!! The way it works is interesting. Everyone puts their plants on the ground. At precisely 11am Darren says GO and everyone can get just 1 plant. After everyone gets their 1 plant he says GO again and you can get another plant .. After about the 4th go around you can get 2 plants per GO and so on.

I only got three and would have love to have gotten more but space in the greenhouse is at a premium. Here is what I got.

This is called Perilla "Magilla". It is NOT a Coleus but in the same family of Lamiaceae. I got it for some color in the greenhouse this winter.

I was able to get an Elephant Ear I had been wanting, Colocasia antiquorum "Illustris". I was thrilled to get this! I'm getting quite a collection of interesting elephant ears!

And last but certainly not least I got a baby Shrimp Plant .. I'm hoping Flowerdazed can help me with identification. I may end up being a collector like her at the rate I'm going.

The swap is held twice a year, Spring and Fall. This past Spring I was able to get some Papyrus for my water garden next year - it's doing superbly well. They had some Giant Papyrus this year but as much as I wanted to get it I knew it would be just too big. It was hard to resist but I did and thankfully they all went in the first go around.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Everything looks great X, glad you got some nice new plants and had a fun time.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Flower Garden

They look wonderful! I would love to find something like that up in my area, sounds like a very fun day!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks .. it always is fun. Already thinking about the next one in Spring! That Perilla is something totally new to me - didn't even know it existed! .. hopefully it's easy to root so by Spring I'll have a whole hedge worth of it .. what's really nice is that it can take blazing hot full sun to bright shade and still look spectacular. If it can be kept under a foot tall and still look good I might use some as a filler for my window boxes.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Flower Garden

Very nice finds Xeo! I'm not quite sure which shrimp plant you have. Are the leaves variegated, looks like it from this end. If you have the variegated red shrimp, I commend you. I think those are called Mexican red shrimps. I find they are the rarest, and, my favorites!
Shrimp plants were an addiction for me last year, and it continues this year! I hope you have been bitten!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Flower Garden

Thanks for the info. The leaves really don't look variegated to me .. I'll look closely at emerging leaves tomorrow - I'm thinking what you are seeing as variegation might be an artifact from damage by mishandling in transit. It was the color that stopped me .. it was in the middle of a bunch of other plants on the ground and my eye's went straight to the color. Since I really wanted the Illustris and Perilla I grabbed them on the first two go arounds .. thankfully it was still there on the third. Probably too insignificant amongst all the taller plant and got overlooked. And yes .. I'm starting to get a "thing" for Shrimp Plants!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Flower Garden

, well, I think you will be 'hooked' and soon with shrimp plant varieties. All of mine are in bloom and have been for a while. I'm so enjoying them.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Bush

Send a message via MSN to calinromania Send a message via Yahoo to calinromania
Gosh.
Cute plants... I am sooo happy there isn't such a swap around here. With the long cold winter coming and no space for more, I'd be in deep... OK.... trouble!
LOL
Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Flower Garden

I'm so proud of myself for not getting any more than I did and it was very difficult!
-->