Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Flowering Shrub

I'm getting a free garden plot!

I'm so excited!! I just found out that there is a community garden near me that's free. It's a 10x16 foot plot and I can even have 2 if I want. They do all the tilling, supply the tools, hoses, water and have a bin for recycling the garden waste. All I have to do is plant, keep it weeded, and harvest!!!

I just wish I had found out about it sooner so I could have gotten tomato and other seeds going. We're less than 2 weeks now from our frost free date, so that's not enough time. I guess I'll have to pay Lowes or some other place for my plants this year. Oh well - it's still worth it for fresh tomatoes, zucchini, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Flower Garden

Vivey, that is fantastic. Especially since they do all the tilling and watering and supply you with tool. Awesome. Our community garden give you the plot period. There is water available but you have to do it yourself with your watering can or hose. Wishing you luck in the garden and hope it fruits and veggies abundantly.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM
Flowering Shrub

I have my own tools, so that's not a problem. But having access to free water for them is great. Planting day is set for April 13. We don't have to plant that day, but that's the day the plots will be ready. Everyone will meet at 9am and they're supplying the coffee and bagels. It's run by the local hospital and on part of their property.

Last edited by vivey; 03-31-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Flower Garden

Sound great and a having a chance to meet new gardening buddys will be a blessing also. Everyone involved will be passing out and picking up new gardening growing pointers. Hope you share new growing thoughts with all of us here.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Flowering Shrub

They even had an hour long meeting with a master gardener last week, but I missed that meeting because I didn't know about this garden until today.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Tree

Vivey, that's wonderful - extra space and the bed already prepared for you, can't ask for better than that! Be sure to keep us updated, I'm sure you'll have it brimming with plants before long!.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Flowering Shrub

I've often wished I could have a veggie garden in my yard, but the amount of shade and the layout of it just won't work. Can't wait for fresh matoes!!!!Running out tonight for some zucchini seeds. I might still have time to get those started from seed.
-->