Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > South Carolina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Sprout

Send a message via Yahoo to Cactusrequiem

Charleston SC Fall Plant Swap

It's that time again folks! Charleston South Carolina 2nd Annual Fall Plant Swap.
The Spring swap this year was a huge success, I want to build on that!
So without any further ado:
PLANT SWAP
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
September 26th, 10am set-up and browse....11am swap...immediately afterwards...LUNCH!
This year we are having it at Park Circle in North Charleston, by the Gazebo. There are picnic tables, bathrooms and LOTS of room for kids to play and even more room for plants, parking and food.
Pretty much everybody in Charleston is familiar with Park Circle....there are numerous ways to get to it, depending on which way you are coming. If you want or need directions you can PM me.
The way we swap will be the same... the basic Free For All. I will say go, everybody will grab ONE (1) plant and take it to their hiding area. After everybody has a plant, we repeat the process. Nice and Simple!
We will have plates and napkins and such, Please bring your own drinks and food for as many as you can. We like to do a Pot Luck style picnic and encourage everybody to stick around and participate. The socializing afterwards is as much fun as the swap itself, please try to give yourself enough time to stay and enjoy yourself!
I will also be giving a mini tour of my yard after the swap. There have been NUMEROUS requests to see my Citrus Grove (Currently at 109 varieties) and the other unusual fruits that I grow.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Tell your friends, neighbors and anybody else you can think of.

Last edited by gardeningmom; 07-23-2009 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: removed e-mail address/phone number per forum rules
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Flower Garden

How do you deal with non-swappers? Or do you treat everybody alike until all the plants are gone? Or are only those that bring plants allowed in?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Sprout

Hello Barefootgardener,
To be honest, I really haven't had to deal with that.
I have had some people bring just a few plants, but there is always extras.
I also tell people if they just don't have any plants, bring lots of food. Some people are just starting their yards and don't have things to trade.
We also use garden art, tools, masonry, hoses, etc.
I have actually been doing a Spring swap for 6 or 7 years....every year it gets a little bit bigger.
Darren
Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
This is really interesting. How do you get something like this started?

I was playing around with the idea as with so many gardeners getting hit hard from hurricane Ike last year many are starting completely over and I know that the yard comes last when the house is completely gone.

I thought that it would be a great idea to get the gardening community
together.

There has been a great outreach for homes and such. What about the gardens after all the garden is really the clothes for the home. With out some kind of plants the home just looks naked.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Sprout

Hello Mickeys_rose,
Actually, it's not that hard to get one of these things off the ground.
Basically, Pick a day. Weekends are best.
Find a park, school playground or somebody with a really big yard and lots of parking.
Get the word out, this website, your local newspaper and other websites. You can e-mail all your local garden friends.
Then just follow how I have mine listed. Some people brings plants, others cuttings. Some of the plants look a little worse for wear and need some TLC, others look like they have been grown by professionals. Accept them all, it is as much a learning experience as it is fun.
Like I said in the posting, the socializing is as much fun as the swap itself.
If you need any more specific ideas, please feel free to ask.
Darren
Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mickeys_rose Send a message via Yahoo to mickeys_rose Send a message via Skype™ to mickeys_rose
Thank you Darren. That is a great help.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Sprout

I am putting on a swap in August & would welcome any ideas you have. I've been to a couple but this is a first for me to host myself. I am advertising on a couple of online sites & have sent to any newspaper within an hour & a half drive. I'm making up flyers to go to feed stores & the like. I am only allowing people to sign up through emailing me or by posting on these sites. So far, nothing so I'm wondering what else I can do? I'm using tickets to trade with so that if anyone shows up with door prizes, I can use the same tickets to draw for door prizes. If no door prizes, than we don't have to use them. I've rented the pavilion at the lake so I'm hoping for a good turn out. I'm nervous that no one will show, that I'll have people who show with absolutely nothing & are just out to get any freebies they can & aren't interested in gardening at all. All I have so far to help out is a couple of family members so anyone who shows up may get roped into helping. I've got information on the swap on the calender & on the Louisiana & Arkansas forums so critique away!
-->