Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Oklahoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Sprout

South Africa gardening! Wow! I don't hear much about gardening outside the USA and Canada. Are you in a larger city? How large are your gardens? Would love to hear more about your gardens and area.
Jackie
Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Flowering Shrub

Nurse, I'm so jealous
Gale
Old 03-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Sprout

Great stuff Backwoods -Not so long anymore. Even your plants seem to be in a hurry.
Ok_Nurse I would love to see how you pond comes along. I do not have my own watergarden, but I am really fascinated by watergardens.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Flower Garden

Hellllllppppp!!

We're slipping back into winter here!! Yesterday the temp started dropping and there was freezing rain and even some snow. And this weekend its supposed to snow Friday and Sunday.....no accumulation but still.....I"m so ready for warm weather.
Deb
Old 03-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Flowering Shrub

Got back from NM yesterday and my peach tree is in blossom!!!

This is its fourth year and its only about 6 foot high but it is covered in pink blossoms-soo pretty. And the bartlett pear trees are covered in white flowers along my wood fence-and all around town. Even the redbud have flowers starting.
Today we are going to Home Depot (yeah!) so we can get the support made for the wisteria so it doesn't go further into the neighbors yard but ratherwhere I want it. We are going to seal the pond today too so I can get going on all that work. Some of the seed I threw down before I left on vaca is sprouting but few bulbs are showing any sign of life. Probably have to wait until next year for them to really show. I planted alliums of all kinds and various others. My cannas are really starting to show green now coming out of the ground and grape hyacinth is in bloom under the maple. Roses have bunches of little leaves and the weeds are all in bloom. Dang things. Still getting them out of my gardens.
We wore out the roto tiller last year and have so much to do this spring. Hubby has a new motor to install on the tiller today. He helped the neighbor install a new shower and tile before we left to trade for the motor so hopefully we won't wear this one out too fast. His veggie garden and the area beside the pond need to be tilled. I'm hoping we can get the pond area ground blocked with outside block this spring and have lawn furniture there.
I ran water down my little waterfall yesterday to clean it out and wash off some of the rocks. Today we will pump the remaining water from winter out of the pond and climb in to wash the walls to sealant. (Phew!) Then I can start trying to replace my water plants and fish.
Never a dull moment. Glad to be back!
-Donna
Old 03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Flower Garden

It's snowing here again......I cant take it anymore!!!!!!! Who stole my spring!!?? I'm hoping its going to melt this afternoon. Geez
Deb
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Flower Garden

It's 54 degrees here today!! My tulips, crocus, artemisia, allium,and daffodils are trying to go now. I even noticed that my artemisia (sp?) is already starting to get new sprouts on it!! Even my gooseberry bush is starting to show a little green. I cant wait to get out there and start gardening!!

Deb

Last edited by dkline; 03-26-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: bad spelling???? lol
Old 03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

WOOHOO Deb!
What a nice change you've had in the past few days.

It is so exciting to take walks around your garden at this time of year, isn't it?
I can really notice differences just from morning to evening.
Various Lilies, hardy Hibiscus, Bee Balm, Butterfly Ginger and lots of Daylilies,
they all seem to be growing by the hour!

My Wisteria is about to bloom, as are the ornamental Cherry trees and Dogwoods.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Flowering Shrub

I googled your bee balm and butterfly ginger

-very pretty. I bet you have lots of butterflies in the summer with those flowers. Do they continuous bloom or periodic? They look like a continuous bloomer. I saw an apricot butterfly ginger on ebay. I think my husband would have a cow if I started ebaying plants again. He'd say "Where are you going to put them?!?!" I guess he's right. Until I see which perennial seeds are going to take off, I'd better not go buying any more. I still have a package coming from direct gardening and I only have three smaller shade beds to fill. Last year I made myself a gardening work box out of cedar fencing and 2 by 4s. Its about 3 1/2 ft tall with a back of five ft that has a shelf. I can open the top on its hinges to store all my stuff out of sight on our front porch. Right now I have the top covered in zip lock baggies with seedlings sprouting. Its so exciting to see those tiny plants in the baggies! I love gardening!
The pond is full-but still empty except for a few lilies that made it through the winter. We want to make sure we didn't miss and leaks. It looks so barren compared to last fall when everything was so lush and full. My asiatic lillies are coming through the ground in the bed under our tree out front. I put a few new bulbs in there last year too so I'm interested to see them bloom. I tell my MIL its like watching a firework display-every day there are new blooms bursting forth and the colors change every three or four days as the different varieties bloom. The cannas are starting to shoot up green. I really like them because they bloom all summer and multiply so quickly. I think tomorrow I'm going to take my ferns outside into my shade beds to plant. I should have a nice calm day tomorrow-in contrast to today. I'm looking forward to it. Hubby tilled the veggie garden yesterday. Hey -by the way- does DW and DH stand for "dear wife" and "dear husband" or "damn wife" and "damn husband"? (Gotta catch the boat even if I'm a lil slow! hee hee!
-Donna
Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Forest

Cool

Crocus were great today, I see all sorts of stuff coming up, but nothing but crocus in bloom so far......I have quite a variety, and hope they do bloom.
Tulips, daffys, lilys, primroses.. many earlies.

It feels so good to be out there raking the beds off and seeing life.
My one clematis even has some green on it. WOW.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Flower Garden

Oh I forgot to look at my clematis. I'll have to go out and take a look at it tomorrow. OK nurse........when it gets warmer here I can see what plants made it through the winter here and send you some of the pond plants I have. I am hoping that one plant in particular made it. I plucked it out of one of the local lakes because it had interesting leaves on it. Brought it home and put it in the pond. A few weeks later it had taken off and started blooming. It got the cutest little yellow and white flowers on it. Do you have a water lily? I'm going to need to divide one of mine this year. It's huge and I can try and send you some of it. Although I dont know how heavy that would be. LOL I have plenty of grass for the pond too. I dont remember what kind it is but there's always plenty of that to share. I've already given my brother all of that he can stand so now I gotta find someone else to give it to. I had only got a start of water lilies last year so I dont have any of those to share. And you mentioned canna. If you have pretoria or bengal tiger they can be put in the pond too. I'll contact you later about the pond plants. Just thought I would mention it to ya.
Deb
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Flowering Shrub

My pond doesn't have a place for shoreline plants..

We dug a pit and cemented it on the corner of our lot. One side of the pond is only a couple feet deep so I put standard size cattails in it with some dirt that is blocked off from the rest of the pond. The bottom of the pond is cement with a few colorful rocks I got from my Mom's beach in Port Huron (MI). I try to keep the water crystal clear so everything can be seen. Sometimes I'm more sucessful than other times.
On top of the walls I took cinderblock and stained it with black cement stain and ran them end to end along the wall on their side so the hole pointed upward. I plant small flowers in the holes with dirt. I usually do annuals so I have immediate color but I'm thinking twice about perennials. My Sweet William came back so pretty this year that I may try some of them in the block wall. Late last summer I placed some pale purple flowers from Home Depot that looked like geraniums in the holes. That looks beautiful but I don't know the name of them to replace them this summer. Very bushy and colorful-about ten inches tall. Anybody have an idea what they may have been? They were in the stores blooming late summer zone 7.
I have a couple water lilies that survived but lost about 8 plants. Your "lake special" sounds great. I'd certainly like a bit of that. How deep does the grass need to be? I'd like to try putting some in a planter in the bottom of the pond. The dragonflies would surely love it.
I will have to get a picture of the pond. I've only used it as a backdrop for pictures of my daughter for her senior pictures but you can get an idea by looking behind her. I'll see what I can do. I still haven't been up to the library to put my NM pictures up. I wish my computer wasn't so slow but I can't complain cause it was free.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Flower Garden

The grass does not have to be in very deep. It seems to do well no matter what you do with it. I started with one plant about 3 years ago and every summer I have to divide and give away. And you can put it in a planter and sink it to the bottom of the pond with rocks on top of the soil to hold it down. I got desperate last summer and ran out of containers and put some in butter bowls with soil and rocks on top and it did fine with that too. If you want some of it I will get you a hunk of it when the weather is better. I still have to wait and see on the lake plant. I am soooooo hoping it will make it. It was so beautiful!! And was spreading like wildfire too!! If it doesnt make it........then that means I have to make a trip to the lake again..dredge through almost ankle high muck to get another one. You should have got a look at me when I came back out of that muck!!! My kids and husband got a big laugh. But I got me some cattails and that little flowering plant out of it so I was happy I did it. Who knows what I might find if I go hunting for some more!! I figure if I get them from the lakes around here they should make it in my pond too. I'll contact you later about the plants I have available.
Deb
-->