Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Oklahoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Flowering Shrub

Thumbs upMy lilies are coming up

I feel for all you northerners (hee hee-I moved south a few years ago!). I still have my cactus under clear tarps because the nights get down in the thirties still but we've have several days in the 60's and even 70's so the plants are waking up! The forsythia (twigs) in my window are growing leaves and all the maples outside are budding. I watered my honeysuckle and it perked up. It stayed dark green all winter and shriveled like the cacti do but it is doing great now! My daylilies are about two inches up and the irises are all perky and growing. The roses all have foliage growing and the mums are growing foliage at the bases. Got one of my large flowerbeds stripped of debris and planted about half of this year's bulbs. Relocated some grape hyacinth bulbs that were growing in my grass. It feels so good to get into the dirt again! I'm getting excited!!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Flower Garden

Wonderful!!!!!!!!1

That is great!!!!!!!! I'm glad somebody can get out in their yard and get their hands dirty!!!!!!!!! Maybe there's hope for me yet. LOL I'm so jealous!!! But very glad for you!!!!! Keep us posted so we can keep track of your garden since mine is still under the snow. LOL
Deb
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Sprout

In Ky many of the spring plants are peeking out - I hope no more snow to take them away!! This morning I got my first easter lily as a greeting as I left for church. Yeasterday I worked on my cold beds - maybe soon I'll see little broccoli and cauliflower plants. I will miss at this when I move to MI. I can appreciate the North moving South. Maybe I'll take up ice fishing!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Blossom

Congrats Donna.. Now if you can PLEASE send some of that warmth up our way here.. Our snow compacted into a layer of ice.. **sigh** gonna be a while yet before I can play out in the dirt..
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Flower Garden

Talking

My crocus and allium are coming up!!!!!!!!!! I went ouside today and looked around and sure enough, there they were sticking their little heads out of the ground!! Maybe spring really is coming!!
Deb
Old 03-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Flowering Shrub

Daffodils are coming!

Crocus too! Today I watered my hanging planters with last year's dianthus. They are getting so green that I had to tend to them and put some new soil on the old dried plants and seeds. They've been out on my porch all winter. Roses are getting little leaves. Forsythia has yellow buds. I pulled the honeysuckle twigs for cuttings. Trimmed my overgrown holly bushes that didn't have their fall haircut cause I was sedentary with my surgeries. Irises are multiplying and I see the very tips of my hybrid lilies breaking through the soil today. I moved some of my daylilies to the flowerbed by the ornamental pond. I also ordered a huge amount of perennials off ebay to place under the mulch. I only got two beds mulched this weekend. Did get about a hundred bulbs planted in three side beds last week. Just planted alliums, tulips, daffs, irises and a few others. My pink honeysuckle vine is getting leaves as is my clemantis. My peach tree is starting to wake up too.
My husband said the high for tomorrow is going to be 36. Lucky the ground is warm. The next day is supposed to be in the low 60's so I'll be back outside Thursday!
-Donna
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Flower Garden

When the weather warms here a bit maybe we can discuss a trade. I have yellow honeysuckle and would trade some for the pink honey suckle you have. Give it some thought and let me know. Thanks
Deb
Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Sprout

I checked all the newly fall planted flowering shrubs in my gardens yesterday. Seems they are getting buds on them - YA! at least I know that they are going to live and so far have surrived the winter- Until this point. Today we are expecting the worse winter storm in years maybe up to a foot or more of snow. But on the brighter side I have cabbage and broccoli plants starting to peek out of the soil in the Laundry room! I'm at 5 weeks til the last frost according to the Farmers Almanac. I haven't checked the dates in MI- I'm sure they have longer to wait.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Flowering Shrub

I'd be glad to send some pink honeysuckle. If you want to start it in your house I can send it Monday. Its ready to pull and looks like its going to do real well this year. This is my plant's third year so I need to trim it back so it doesn't get so wild and viney. I have it on a small trellis and its trying to climb the tree and the fence behind the fence it is on. It won't fill up my trellis unless I cut it back so it will fill out more. Let me know what you wanna do. PM me an address and I'll send it out Monday. Intercept the envelop though or the cold will kill it in the mailbox. My mom got her bulbs in Michigan on Wednesday when I sent hers on Monday.
-Donna
Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Acorn

I love my daffs here, and I have forsythe...all yellow.
I got my first pink flower on my wood sorrel yesterday.
I am "trapped in a yellow spring" here...lol
I really have to get some other early spring colors planted.
Donna, I would love some of your pink forsythe!!
Check my profile, for hopefuly something you would like in trade!!
Can't you use some wood sorrel mounds?.. lol

I am in the inner southern coastal area of NC.
We have had "spring teasing" going on here for weeks, and even the trees are starting to bud out.

I have full leaves on my roses.
My "winter sown" flowers are all peeking thru the soil.
I have been working on a new garden, setting up paths and beds.
My peas have been in for a week now, and I am looking for them to come up soon.

We have a low passing thru this weekend, but not below freezing nights expected.

I took several new cuttings from the old "seven sister roses" this week, and have them soaking in willow tea. I will be putting them to root this week.
Same with the pink ramblers.
Hope someone is going to want these...I love my roses, but have already planted alot of them not taken in the last 3 years here.

Looking forward to the wysteria "show" I get every year. Over grown woods next to me, looks all choked up the rest of the year, but the spring flowering is unbelievable!! Sight and smell. I keep telling hubby,"I'll clean it out next year". Wonder how many years I can pull that off....ha ha...
I love how they look!!
Brenda
Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Acorn

Wow everybody seems to be having lots of fun outside......well most anyway .........me well still have the snow and ice also, melting and have a river running down the driveway, but did see that a few daff's are starting to poke up from the ground yesterday (snow's all gone from around the wood shed) the only playing I get to do right now is inside, though I have all my south side window sills and a sm indoor greenhouse full of baby plants now
sure can't wait to get outside though. It's great hearing that some are able to get out and have fun
Della
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Flowering Shrub

Well I did my planting in two beds and ran out of seeds...

I only have eleven more to go! So I went to Direct Gardening and bought another hundred dollars worth of plants. I still have seeds coming from ebay also. Just can't believe how hard it is to change over to all perennials. I just hope my preschooler doesn't accidentally ride his scooter through my flowerbed along the sidewalk to the front door.
We took the "greenhouse" tarp off the cactus garden last night. My tropicals are enjoying the outdoors too. Yesterday was in the seventies and sooooooo beautiful.
Today is a day for planting more bulbs. I have another ebay box of bulbs- some dutch iris, dahlias, daffs, more crocus. I think I'll transplant more of the grape hyacinth I have growing in my lawn (if you could call it a lawn!) I need to pull up the running grass in my gladiola bed too. Last fall I was recuperating from surgery and it got a bit overgrown. I'm sure you've heard me say the grass here is horrible. It is just starting to wake up with everything else so this is the time to yank it out by the roots. Its a never ending battle but one I can win in the spring until it gets crazy with the heat.
Since we are leaving on vacation for a few days this Sunday, I'll have to wait to open up the pond. We had to reseal the cement bottom so now I get to clean and replace the contents. My daughter bought me a new pleco (scum sucking fish) for my birthday Tuesday. Everyone is anxious for me to get my pond back running. So much work. At least I get to look at something beautiful for my work. As a nurse, the only thing I got to look at was somebody's hiney!!!
Ahh, yeah...the memories..
Well back to gardening!! Woo Hoo!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Flower Garden

Thank you for posting that. I'm still living through everyone else's gardens because mine is not doing much right now. Some bulbs are sticking their little heads out but that's about it. My ponds are going to need alot of work this year too. We are going to cement the channels and they all need to be cleaned out really good. It's not warm enough yet though to do that. So I will be waiting on my ponds also. But soon enough I will be watching the birds bathing in the channels.
Deb
Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Sprout

Aw - this is lovely to read about your anticipation for spring. Around here we are getting ready/preparing for fall. Soil is cooling down and a lot of chores wait to be done.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Acorn

Wow got to go out for a bit yesterday, snow's melting fast in some area's around here, seen growth daff's and tulips starting well, but what really startled me was the hydrangea - endless summer I got last year - it's starting to grow all ready! I bought it (gal size) late last summer on sale for only 5 bucks too so I will be sure to look again late for more good buys on this kind for sure, wasn't sure how it would do here but now really glad I tried that one Our forecast for the next few days though are rain with maybe more snow but at least it won't stay long haha I have abt 7 more weeks of frost though - those late ones are nasty with the early flowering fruit around here but usually doesn't bother the perennials thank goodness. I sure hope those 7 weeks fly by fast haha
-->