Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Flowering Shrub

Send a message via Yahoo to jessiebella677

Cool

As far as fertilizer goes, as I've mentioned, money is an issue, but I am guessing that I can use grass clippings, leaves, and manure (I'm certain that farmers all around would be glad to either get rid of it or sell it for cheap... but I don't know yet).

Card board is great for fertilizer and most places just chuck it into the trash. So drive behind a few buisness (big and small) and see what you can find. You just lay it on the soil and cover with more soil(or compost if your city has a free compost heap!) It kills weeds and grass, I use it all the time! As it(cardboard and weeds) breaks down it creates nitrogen in the soil thus fertilizing your garden! A good friend who got me into gardening inroduced me to lasagna gardening! I dont use all the stuff for it but use whats cheap and available. I too am not rich and have alot of kids so gardeing is a big deal to us. We moved 2 years ago and are finally gonna put a huge garden in here next year. We did an orchard this year as fruit takes longer to develope and produce.
Jessie
Jessie
Old 06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Flowering Shrub

Try freecycle

For tools, compost, even certain garbage(egg shells,coffee grounds stuff like that) Just post a request for anyone willing to save these in a bag for you and you will pick it up. Basically you can request anything from freecycle and find offers of the things you may need. I have found plants, trampolines, swingset and other stuff. Great place!
Jessie
Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Sprout

Freecycle is an awesome website! I am a part of it, but have yet to take anything, or request anything. I do not have much to give and they seem to feel very strongly against trade. But I may end up asking them for rhubarb cuttings, in order to start my own.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Flowering Shrub

Coolposting on freecycle

Some counties are funny about posting requests like if you havent posted an offer in a while they feel you should offer. However you should just try to post a want or needed add on whatever you need and see if anyone responds. I find that the best way to find what you are looking for instead of reading all the offers, I meen thats good to but people will see your wanted post and repond if they have it to get rid of. I live in a small rural community surroounded by other small communities so people are very generous here. Sad its not like that everywhere. I hope you find what you need here or there or anywhere!
Jessie
-->