Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Sprout

Starting a garden, I'm scared!

I am wanting to start a real garden. So far, I've only had potted goodies, but I'm wanting to have my own special place that I can care for every summer.

The problem is that I am not really a person who enjoys change. I'm guessing that a normal garden for 2 people, where vegetables will be grown for immediate consumptions as well as freezing (I should also mention that one of the reasons I want to make a garden is to save on grocery bills. We are not wealthy and I'm hoping that freezing/pickling vegetables will help my husband and I during the winter months) should be maybe 10x10 feet. But... oh my! that seems like such a huge area to work over and modify. As I've said, working doesn't bother me, I just always feel bad about altering such a huge patch of land.

I am hoping to plant tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, peas, beets and others things, I am still compiling a list for next summer.

As far as fertilizer goes, as I've mentioned, money is an issue, but I am guessing that I can use grass clippings, leaves, and manure (I'm certain that farmers all around would be glad to either get rid of it or sell it for cheap... but I don't know yet).

The only problem I foresee is that I do not have a motorized tiller. So, that might make my back hurt... But hard work is ok!

So, with all this being said, does anyone have some advice or words of encouragement for my first patch of land.

Kittyfang
Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

garden

Start will a small plot this year and if you can keep up go bigger each year. Also you can find roto tillers sometimes cheap used in your local paper. I have a good size plot, but seem to not be able to take real good care of the weeds, because I always end up caring more for my flowers. I also have a few fruit trees and they are a lot of work when fruit is in season. Especially if you have a 50 hr week job. Not enough hrs to keep up with all of this.
Good Luck and happy gardening!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy

Garden

Kittyfang welcome to the site! Check with your area recycling area, they might have compost you can get for free if you load it yourself. Also check with any area farmers, they might be able to help you out with aged manure. Change is always unsettling but you'll be thrilled when you get your first harvest. There's nothing like fresh veggies and in today's times a smart move to grow your own. Best of luck, Mandy
Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Tree

food

egg shells, coffee grounds, and tea bags too are excellent sources for compose,, anything that is not meat to attract vermin and animals not to mention smell, etc,, never meats..
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Flower

To be honest... last year my first garden as an adult was only 8x12.

I planted several things in it and in the beginning it was great, but after about a month, it was too crowded and everything died.

I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong... but to have enough space in a single area for all the things you mentioned planting, you'll need an area twice as big as you described. I'm NOT an expert, and it could be that I've not got the experience in space management of gardens. So your 10x10 area could be great... get some more advice on that subject...

I agree with the above poster about certain things you can use for fertilizer, but I'd also do a little research as well regarding the plants you are wanting to grow. Coffee grounds are acidic and would work well for some vegetables but may kill vegetables that require a more alkaline soil.

I use 13-13-13 fertilizer. It's relatively cheap at any local garden store.

I also recommend using lime on the spot you intend to use about a month before sowing your seed. Since it's too late for that this year, do it next year. Go ahead and plant your things this year. It's not that big of a deal. It's just what I like to do. Lime levels out the soil pH to where you can start with a clean slate.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Bush

Hi and Welcome.
Number one.......relax!
Gardening should be something that you enjoy, not a task.
First time around, don't over do it....you can easily become overwhelmed and possibly discouraged. Keep it simple.
Try not to get too involved in the "fertilizing stuff"! Try a few of this veg and of that....see what happens. Learn by trial and error instead of "by the book".
Compost is a good thing, start your own...an easy thing to do.

Take care and good luck
Gary
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy

Good luck

Kittyfang I think you're going to do fine. It's a learning process but a very satisfying and fun one. Please keep us posted as you go along, I can't wait til you harvest your stuff!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Tree

I also suggest just relaxing and enjoy the process. I would suggest you start small - as to not be too overwhelmed. By next year you will definitely want to plant more and will have had a season's worth of experience under your belt. I plant and grow on the method of soil sun and water. I don't get to carried away with fertilizer and such (but then I haven't planted too many unusual plants). You should perhaps start with a few basics and let their success give you the encouragment and confidence to expand. I think you will be surprised at how easy it is. Good Luck and Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Tree

small

Hey kitty mine is only 8x8 this year, gonna be bigger next year though. I had to bring in top soil cause I have clay here. Its doing great check my album for pic. You can grow quite a lot in small spaces, even put veggies in u'r flower beds too. a veggie plant here & there adds some interest to the flowers also. I think instead of 1 very large garden spot, that I will make 8x8 blocks in a row , then plant like plants in each 1,example all corn in 1, all beans in1, all tomatoes in 1 etc. This way it will not seem so over whelming.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Tree

garden

let me try & do this

Last edited by Pushin-up-Daisies; 07-13-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Tree

Did it

Originally Posted by Pushin-up-Daisies View Post:
let me try & do this
Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Tree

didnt know that about coffe grounds

always used them in compose and tea bags too,, thanks for the one up,, never had a problem guess because in a big compost pile and mixed,, i think its a good form of nitrogen or so i think someone once told or taught me,? Blessings, Beth
Old 06-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Good for you Kittyfang - GO FOR IT! You'll do just great.

I love the pic of your garden, Daisies, nicely done.
(Glad the thumbnail image worked for you, too. )

Your mention of making several smallish beds reminded me of a garden that I saw
on a local garden tour last spring - 6 beds similar to yours and 4 half-barrels at the corners.
I was really impressed with what they did.
It was attractive, and it looked manageable ... and they had no weed problems.
I asked about the gravel, and she said that they had put 2 layers of weed-stop fabric under it.

I only wish that I had the sunny space to copy their design.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Tree

Originally Posted by zuzu's petals View Post:
Good for you Kittyfang - GO FOR IT! You'll do just great.

I love the pic of your garden, Daisies, nicely done.
(Glad the thumbnail image worked for you, too. )

Your mention of making several smallish beds reminded me of a garden that I saw
on a local garden tour last spring - 6 beds similar to yours and 4 half-barrels at the corners.
I was really impressed with what they did.
It was attractive, and it looked manageable ... and they had no weed problems.
I asked about the gravel, and she said that they had put 2 layers of weed-stop fabric under it.

I only wish that I had the sunny space to copy their design.

yes zuzu thats what i'm going for yes,yes yes. I love the look of it too
Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Sprout

Grats on the raised bed garden Daisy! And thank you Zuzu for the beautiful pictures! It is really making me want to work and plan for next year.

I was blessed with a mother in law who loves to work on her landscaping (tho she doesn't have time to do it, because she works a lot). She and I (and hubby) live on the same patch of land, therefore, we share the same backyard. She once told me that is was my land as well and that I was welcomed to do whatever I pleased! I know she loves flowers and once told me that we would love to have an area, in the shade, surrounded by flowers, where she could relax.

I'm sorry, I'm rambling. but looking at my backyard, even without any money, I see all the possibilities and how beautiful it could be.

You guys are inspiring me!
-->