Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Acorn

Red faceLandscaping a Blank Slate

Well, I'm tired of looking at the front of my house that is totally un-landscaped. I'm determined to do something about it this year...but really have no budget. Here is a picture of my house (taken around 3 pm yesterday on a full-sun day) and I've attempted to shade in areas that are to be planted. The gray areas are going to be pathways (not sure of material yet). I figured rather than trying to only have a garden close to the house and having a small patch of grass here two paths meet, I'd fill in that whole area (even if it is just ground cover this year.

So...oh, wise ones...what would you plant and where? I'm assuming I need something tall for the back...preferably something that likes dry ground as the rain doesn't wet there. I'm really stumped because of the mix of sun exposures. There is a building on the East that cast shadow so only part of the garden gets morning to mid-day sun. The very point may be full sun. But the west side gets none. I'm not against perennials that aren't invasive (I had a terrible mess of ditch lilies when I moved here that I've thankfully fully eradicated). The more edibles the better but I want flowers and pretty things too.

I have the following flower seed coming: 5 Spot Nemophilia, Calendula, and Johnny Jump Up (plus some sunflowers that I'm assuming won't work here). I also have a ton of common marigold seed saved from last year (not a favorite but can be used). I could probably get some rose cuttings from my mom. I love succulents. My first garden when I married was almost 100% dianthis and I'm still quite fond of them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by bonnie0128; 03-19-2014 at 07:54 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Flower Garden

a good choice for it would be autumn joy sedum or any of the tall sedums. they would make a good mid sized backdrop for annuals and they are easy to root and grow fast. lenten roses would work very well on either side they love shade and can handle part sun as well. for a quick pick me up, you can put a potted vine with something for a trellis out there to give it a boost while your fixing the rest of it. it really depends upon the heighth that you want, if you are wanting something close to the heigth of the bottom of the windows, well then you would want something like hollyhocks, i think they do real well in half shade. hope this helps some.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Blossom

how has your garden come along? What did you plant there? Post update pics!!! I know black eyed susans and shasta daisies will do well in the sunnier areas, I have lots of those! I'm trying to figure my own garden out, and stifle the "I want it ALL!!!!" urge! :-) I moved in last fall and there are some plants here, but there's too much of what is here, and a lot of it needs moved around, like the roses in the shade . . . getting black mold . . . yuck! I agree with the sedums, though that might be too common for some, like the black eyed susans and daisies! I recently dug out an entire bed, about 8x4 of solid ditch lilies, and more to move out! And i hate ox-eye daisies; if you get a flower mixture, make sure there aren't any ox-eye daisies!!! I had to weed them out of my beds! Apparently they are on the noxious weed list for my state, and I sold some potted up in my garage sale . . . whoops! But the people wanted them . . . and I gave away my ditch lilies for free on craigslist, lots of people actually want those to fill in bare spots. But I did see a lot of them on a wildflower hike - they wash in from upstream, and take hold of an area, along with vinca, honeysuckle, ivy, and a few others. Check your state's prohibited plant list before you plant anything, I've learned!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Blossom

oh, i forgot

I just remembered after I posted that - I just read about planting crocosima "Lucifer" with Japanese blood grass together - looked amazing! Crocosima can stand pretty much anything, I've been told, from soil conditions to sun exposure. I'd like to put that combo in my garden! It was accented with a broad-leaf coreopsis, which is native to parts of the country. I've been crazy about researching natives, as I'm creating a rain garden! I noticed the drain pipe in your pic - you could totally put in a rain garden!!!!! Just dig a shallow bowl depression, and plant it up with natives! Most natives can tolerate a bit of shade, because they have to in the wild! Look up rain gardens and native plants in your area, there are tons and tons of resources online for rain gardens! You can even get really deep into researching plants for certain butterflies and their caterpillars, and what plants are best for what birds, etc. etc. The possibilities are endless!

Good luck!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Blade of Grass

http://gardenplanner.almanac.com/gar...nplanner.html#
Here is a free garden planner that may come in handy. It is free for 1 month and they do not ask for your cc info. It has so much information on there for your individual area.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Blossom

you win! :-)
-->