Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > New Jersey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Blossom

Hurricane Sandy

Hi all,

I live in Union County and we were hit really hard by Sandy. We didn't get much rain, but the wind was so destructive. I have seen neighbors with trees laying across their homes or taking our parts of their house. We've been w/o power since Monday night, living on a generator. We were watching an hour of TV at night and although we haven't seen all of the destruction reported, I am sadden to see my childhood state destroyed. I can't begin to imagine how the people at the shore are coping with the loss of everything. We've had a taste of it and its been rough.

Our house sustained very little damage, but we haven't had heat. We were lucky to have purchased a generator after Irene so we were running it in cycles to conserve gas since the lines at the gas station are insanely long.

Fortunately, my sister just got power yesterday, so we moved in with her. We are supposed to get power today. I am keeping my fingers crossed...I really hope we do. It would be nice to return home. (At least we have one to return to...)

For those of you willing to drive, I can say with 100% certainty that Monmouth County, specifically Manalapan, has little if no wait times. The QuickChek on Main St and Gordon's Corner in Englishtown has NO LINES. I passed by yesterday and today and its been the same both days. Additionally, the Hess station on the West side of Rte 33 in Millstone/Manalapan border has a very small line (about a 10 minute line). I hope this helps someone.

Good luck and stay warm NJ. We will get through it together!

Digitalje
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Flower Garden

Glad you're ok and making it. Take care. God bless you and yours.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Blade of Grass

North Jersey

Our township had internet access out for well over 2 weeks and electricity for just a bit less than that. We had to walk to the municipal building to vote by generator powered booths. We're north in a more sparsely settled & highly forested area of NJ 'the highlands'. Impassable roads with cable/poles/many, many trees/lines/cell towers/traffic lights down - My sister & her husband in central Jersey - Scotch Plains - got their power back sooner, Dan is pres of the rescue squad there & on the NJ state first aide council - they were overwhelmed by the devastation. Where I am, there are still roads that are only partially cleared, enough that you can get by the tree and under the wires to get through as long as you aren't driving a Canyonero SUV. Don't think the state officials could have ever imagined or been prepared for a storm of this magnitude.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Flower

I'm so sorry to hear about all the hardships Sandy brought upon you and yours, and the rest of the coast who got pummeled As you said though, I'm really glad you have a home to go back to still though I'm sure someone will find this post very helpful and thanks for the update. I'm from Rhode Island...and while the winds were horrible here in Hope Valley, we made it out without any real incidents...However, I know many parts of the CT and RI shore towns, got trashed Our thoughts are with you, and all who suffered so much loss by Sandy!
-->