Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > New Jersey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Flower Garden

Oh and yea I am in zone 5, weatherwise it is much the same as it was in north Jersey.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Acorn

Hi! I am from South Jersey. New to the group.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Acorn

hey zippy im a jersey gardener!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Blade of Grass

Hi xrc

Had to move husband's relatives from Lawrenceville to Robbinsville once - Hamilton Twp is somewhere in between? South Jersey is a great place to garden

My grandparent's had a farm in Tabernacle, peg barn, old house (Quaker liniage). They slowly sold it off to a farmer named Conte - miss that place.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Blossom

Moving...

So we are moving to Northern Jersey at the end of Feb and I am having an internal debate. Do I dig up my favorite plants and take them with me or do I leave them behind? Would it be rude to leave holes in the garden?

Same with my greenhouse. I am debating whether I should try and sell it or take it with me.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Acorn

zippy

me and my finace lived in robbinsville for a year while i was getting my house prepped to rent out. then we moved to hamilton
Old 12-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Blade of Grass

re... moving

Hi Digital - The ground is frozen here, can't dig up any plants at this point. If you're still able to do so at least take perennial divisions - fill in with soil/compost so the plants will fill back in. I tucked 30 bulbs/divisions together into pots when we sold our house in Boston & moved back to NJ. We left all the fruit trees, shrubs, rose bushes (except for one Graham Thomas that I still had in a pot). If I had more time I would have taken cuttings and rooted them, unfortunately they wanted my husband to start ASAP, so I was left to put the house together, get it on the market and do the same for the condo we were renting out as well. ....Really do miss the lilacs we had there.

What part of North Jersey are you planning to move to?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 AM
Blossom

Hi Zippy,

We still don't know where exactly. (Maybe Morris or Essex county) That is the hardest thing. I don't know if we will find a house before selling ours, so I am thinking that we may have all of our stuff in storage.

Maybe I can find foster parents for my plants through family and friends. :-)

Digitalje
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Blade of Grass

Hi Digital,

At least there are a lot of homes on the market to choose from, selling seems to be more of a problem these days. Hubby & I have had a number of work related moves and have found that initially renting is the best option - it gives you a chance to learn more about the different areas, like where most of the flooding occurs, where most of the black bears/coyote are, which cities have rising crime rates, etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Acorn

I am in East Windsor, nj & just joined today. I an interested in swapping some plants.
I have some Pepper Mint , Currey leaf tree( Indian) to offer.

Looking forward to some nice Italian herbs in return.

Cheers!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Blade of Grass

Hi Disney!

Hi DW,

A good start is to build your profile page and list what you have and what you're looking for. I have a few herbs left including several varieties of basil, a large leaf/genovese/Violetto/etc... some Greek Oregano, and other herbs but it would really be a good idea for you to list the herbs you're looking for so when you post what you're willing to trade people who are interested will look at your profile page to see if they have what you need.

BTW I'm way up in north Jersey from you now, almost at the NY border, but may actually be moving nearer to where you are soon. If hubby gets a job offer I'll be right across the border in PA (whoohoo!) ...just need to figure out how to pick up and move the garden

Zippy
Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Acorn

Hi there! I'm in eastern PA, in Schnecksville as well
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Blossom

Talking

Originally Posted by disneywonder View Post:
I am in East Windsor, nj & just joined today. I an interested in swapping some plants.
I have some Pepper Mint , Currey leaf tree( Indian) to offer.

Looking forward to some nice Italian herbs in return.

Cheers!
Hi disneywonder,

I don't know if you are still looking for those herbs, but I would love to trade you some herbs for the tree. How are you offering the tree, as cuttings or the actual plant? I have seeds for basil (a couple of varieties), oregano, marjoram and rosemary. In addition, I have I have cumin and lemongrass seeds. Those aren't exactly Italian, but I wasn't sure if you would be interested in those as well.

Let me know.

Thanks,
digitalje
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Acorn

I found this site tonight. Looking forward to meeting some others who like to play in the garden. I live in Middlesex County, zone 6B. I just learned tonight about the "B" part of this. I always thought I was in zone 6.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Blossom

OK, are the rest of you Jersey gardeners tired of this crazy weather! Are we in spring or winter? My Christmas cactus is blooming and my citrus trees are setting fruit. What the heck is going on?!?!?
-->