Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > New Jersey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Blade of Grass

Any Jersey gardeners still around?

Started not too long ago, live in north Jersey, zone 6a.

Zippy
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
Hi Zippy, waving to you from PA! Glad to see another organtic gardener here. We used to have some Jersey gardeners on here, hopefully they'll pop up again.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Blade of Grass

Hiya Mandy!

I'm waving back to you! Are you in the eastern, central or western part of PA? I visit Easton often and Philly twice a year, love the countryside. Will hopefully be heading over to the Christkindlmarkt festivities in Bethlehem this week with a few friends.

Zippy
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Hello Zippy

I'm in Eastern Pa also. I think Mandy is close to Bethleham, I'm close to Hershey!!!!!!!Welcome!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Flower Garden

I grew up in Bethlehem, now in Schnecksville. Chriskindlemarkt is wonderful, you'll enjoy it. Downtown Bethlehem is beautiful, great place to shop. So you are familiar with my area it sounds? I'm only an hour or so from Philly.

Last edited by Mandy; 11-30-2010 at 04:23 AM..
Old 11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Blade of Grass

Hi Mandy & Bubba!

I love visiting Bethlehem, have a friend who does woodwork who still lives there. He used to sell his work through a little shop called the bag lady, I think. I'm pretty sure it isn't around anymore but atleast the moravian book store is. Also, used to date a US Air pilot from the Lancaster area while I was in school, we used to take bike rides through the countryside, such beautiful farmland and Hershey was always a great place for us to visit.

Nice to know there are some plantswap folks nearby!
Maybe we could meet up some time!

Zippy
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Flower Garden

I remember that store, no it's not there anymore. Meeting up would be fun.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Blossom

I am here too

I live in Monmouth County, but originally from Northern Jersey.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Flowering Shrub

zippy, sounds like you are having fun out here with all the pa. people. thats good to find out that you can talk to someone that is familiar with the same things that you are. have a great day.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Blade of Grass

Hi Digitalje

Isn't most of Monmouth County a zone 7? Must be great for growing! I have family scattered all over NJ, we're the furthest north, near West Milford in zone 6a.

Zippy
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Tree

My boyfriend grew up in Hawthorne NJ.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Flower Garden

I used to live in Sussex NJ, had a farmhouse with two acres, and such beautiful gardens, oh my, the lady we had bought the land from had blueprints of them.

We loved it, but disaster struck and we had to move. Now we are here on the side of a mountain in Altoona Pa. I really really love it here, but I sure do miss my old gardens.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Blossom

Can't speak about all of Monmouth County, but in my township I am a zone 7. Its interesting living here though. The weather is just so different from Northern Jersey. When I used to work up there, I would sometimes leave my house in the winter with blue skies and drive into a huge snow storm. Or vice versa.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Blade of Grass

Hi PA & NJ!!!

Hi Mandy, sounds like fun! Maybe late spring, then I could bring along some divisions and seedlings...

Hi Sharon, we actually looked at homes in Hawthorne when we first moved back to NJ but ended up near the western end of Passaic county instead! Where are you now?

Hi Fearadyn - I'll bet you have some amazing mountain views where you are now, are you a zone 5 or 6? I'm close to the Sussex border, am usually around Franklin, Hamburg, Newton and Sparta several times each month. Lovely area with the largest black bear population in the state, 50 times what it was 20 years ago in the Skylands region. You may have left at the right time, incidents have risen to the point where they've instituted the hunt for the first time in 5 years as a stop gap measure.

Hi Digitalje, Strange about NJ weather, I can't tell you how many times last year it would be snowing with up to 2 feet on the ground and my husband would leave for work, by the time he would get in there were blue skys, no hint of snow and no one would believe he was up shoveling at 4 am!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Flower Garden

Hi back Zippy,

Oh yes I know right where you are talking about, I also used to work in Hacketstown Hospital.

It truly is amazing about the wildlife up there, we used to have regular visits by a pack of coyoties and a large black bear ran across the yard not three feet from me. I had a friend who lived in Vernon where the bear problems were very bad even back then, they are all afraid to even let their kids wait at the bus stops.

Yea, we have woods back behind the land, but in winter when the leaves drop we have a great view of the valley.

My boys are grown and live in NYC now, but they still have so many friends out in Jersey, they all fell in love with the countryside out there and miss it.

Hey I hope everyone on this thread has a great winter, I know it is going by pretty fast for me.
-->