Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Maryland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Blossom

Homestead Garden Show today in Maryland

I went to the Homestead Garden show today and had a great time. Mike McGrath( http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/about.html) was there talking about tomatoes. I thought I wouldn't learn anything but boy was I wrong. I thought I'd share what I learned with everyone here.
1. put 1 dozen crushed egg shells in the hole of every tomato plant and you will NOT have blossom end rot.
2. plant DEEP at least two thirds of the plant should be planted in the ground.
3. put compost ON TOP of the ground around the plant and some inside and he recommends a seafood compost for best results with tomatoes. Some kind of mineral or something (kiton?sp) helps prevent wilt in tomatoes when you use compost with shellfish shells in it. and it adds even more calcium. The reason for putting the compost on top is that everytime it rains your plants will get a shot of compost tea! Less work for us and more food for the plants. Calcium also makes for tastier tomatoes because ... he had a really great explanation but I honestly can't remember the facts so I'll just say because he said so. LOL
4. Cage your tomatoes when you plant them because before you know it they will be too big. He highly recommends cages and explained how to make them quickly and cheaply now with concrete reinforcement wire and a pole. He said don't tie them to a stake (like I did last year) because the indeterminate type typically grow 12 feet and if they are in a cage they can spiral around for about 9 feet inside the cage and then a few feet outside and never touch the ground or break off (like mine did last year)
5. Do not wet the leaves of the tomatoes when you water, never water them at night if you have to (overhead) water. Plant in the late afternoon to prevent shock. Plants that have been hardened off should be planted at or close to sunset so that they have all night to get accustomed to their new home in the ground before the sun comes up in the morning. (I've never tried this but thought it made sense)
6. Why didn't I get many tomatoes last year... most tomato pollen fries at about 90 degrees (there are specific high temp ones breed that don't).. so when it's over 90 and you have blooms you most likely will not get tomatoes from those blooms
7. Not tomato related but calcium enriched soil is great for crispier cucumbers.
8. Fussy garden plants, tomatoes, roses, lilacs, etc. (those prone to the most problems) benefit most from morning sun to dry the dew quickly to prevent disease and pests.
9. Mikes favorite tomatoes black krim he says it tastes like someone smoked it (sounds interesting so I bought a pack at the show to try)
and georgia streak sometimes called rainbow. I couldn't find it but it sounded delicious. My mouth was watering for a fresh ripe home grown tomato
10. Do not use chemical fertilizer on your tomatoes. Compost, compost, compost is all they should need. Using chemical fertilizer will result in "store bought" tomato taste. The chemical fertilizer will result in "bigger" fruit but not better. Chemical fertilizers make the veggies grow big but only because they retain more water not more nutrients or flavonoids etc. He sighted a study but I didn't write that information down. I'm on board with compost only and all organic feeding methods.
11. Stink bugs... they will come the best we can do is try to control what we see. he recommended looking at the underside of bottom leaves of our plants for geometric shaped clusters of eggs and destroying any infected ones you find twice a week. He also mentioned an insecticide with the active ingredient of spinosad for killing them. Apparently this ingredient only kills bugs that EAT the plant it's sprayed on and doesn't harm the insects that don't eat the leaves. Don't use it on your butterfly food plants but spray sparingly to those plants that can't handle or perform when they are all chewed up.
12. Squirrels... the best thing to keep squirrels off your plants.. a motion activated sprinkler head other than that he says learn to live with them because they have a plan to take over the world... LOL

I had a great time and brought home a few more plants.. like I needed them. LOL
Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

fun

Sure sounds like you had a fun day! Very interesting stuff ya learned. How about some pretty pics? Come on I know ya must have gotten some pics! TFS!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Blossom

Only one picture

To my surprise I only got one picture at the entire garden show. I will probably go back this weekend and get more. I really liked this display and have plants to do my new vegetable garden somewhat similar to this

-->