Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Northeast > Maine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Sprout

Keeping unwanted plants at bay....

Got tired of seeing this section empty so here is the first post/question....

Some weeks ago I posted about cutting the tree's in an area behind my workshop. I found a little holly struggling to grow~it's doing quite nicely now.

All that I cut down is also doing quite well~the problem is I don't want it to!! Oaks, dogwood, great leaf aster, hardtack are mostly what is in this area and as soon as it is cut new plants, branches spring right up. I've cut the tree's right to the ground and 2 or 3 times re-cut everything I don't want in the area. I would really like to make a rock garden in this spot....

Does anyone have suggestions for keeping the unwanted plants at bay?? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Flower Garden

Remove and pot up anything you want to keep. Once again cut down everything then make up one of those 32 oz spray bottles with heavy duty weed/brush killer and spray the dickens out of everything that pops up. Check the area EVERY DAY and spray awayl. It will take a few months before the tougher ones give up. That's what I did with an invasion of Sweet Autumn Clematis .. It took a whole season before the area was totally barren. Hard work but got results.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Sprout

Thanks for this suggestion! Will uprooting/transplanting the little Holly shock it too much?
I also thought about putting black plastic over the area and basically cooking the unwanted plants. Do you think this could work??
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Blossom

I have found with oak trees at least the only thing to do is to dig/grind up the stump. I have one stump that is in a path and I have been spraying it for about a year and it keeps growing back. The ones in the yard I had ground out and have not had any problems with them coming back. I like the solarizing idea. I'm going to try that today! Good luck getting rid of those unwanted plants.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Forest

pULL IT OUT
I DID
B
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Flower Garden

I've got the same type of area that I have been trying to keep clear for a few years now. About a month ago I cut everything back close to the ground and put out a tarp, I am then slowly adding mulch on top of the tarp.

But I am going to just keep this area for container plantings so the tarp and mulch will be staying.

Great luck with your project!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Flower Garden

I've never tried to dig up a holly and root it so I don't really know .. try to get as much of the roots as you can so start digging about 6 inches away from it if it's fairly small.

Considering you live in Maine, I don't thing your sun would be strong enough to solarize the area .... but! with winter coming on I'd keep spraying until plants stop actively growing then saturate the soil with weed killer and throw a couple of layers of cardboard over the whole area and weigh it down with whatever you can. By next Spring, what ever was growing there should probably be dead .. though once you uncover the area I'd wait a few weeks with sprayer in hand to see if anything starts to come up.

If you get your desired results then put in a few test plants to see if the weed killer is gone. If not then water the area thoroughly for week or so and try again.
-->