Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Kansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Acorn

Canna's

Ok, it's in the negative digits outside right now... so it's a bit late to wonder this, but looking at the temperature dip even lower is getting me concerned.

Should I have dug up my canna's this fall? Will they freeze and die over this extra cold winter?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Flower Garden

Different varieties are more or less hardy. Some (Australius) are hardy only up to zone 8. Most of the others that I know about are hardy up into 6b. I would think that where you are a frost blanket (sold also as plankets) would have adequately protected most of your cannas. I hope you didn't lose any.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Tree

I lost all mine cannas few years ago, plankets didn't help in 20 below,
started over and now I winter them all in pots, inside.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Acorn

Thanks!

Ok, well thank you both... I will cross my fingers. Especially since we had that sharp cold snap a few weeks ago. It has me scratching my head on even the heartier plants in my yard! I'll let you know what grows this spring where the cannas were!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Flower Garden

Well, I'm your canna lady (for the more run-of-the-mill varieties) if you need some to get restarted.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
I started growing them for the first time this year and I was worried about that also. I'm in zone 6 so just to be safe I dug mine up and stored them in our garage. Good luck with yours. I got a variegated variety from a trade on here and I'm really hoping it makes it. That one unfortunately was dug up after ground had frozen. Luckily it was in a big container that I just had to carry in garage to thaw for a day til I could rescue it. Hopefully it'll be ok.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Vegetable Garden

if yours don't make it, I have seeds of some varieties I can share ... you see, you won't be without cannas this year

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Flower

I'm a little late seeing this,I always thought Cannas have bulbs,but I guess they will grow from seed,like all plants.My neighbour has Cannas and he always dug them up and stored for following years,we do live in Ks.
Sylv
Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Vegetable Garden

of course you'll have a big and full canna plant much faster starting them from tubers. And since they grow fast, it is no big deal to chop a piece of root for sharing

I always go for seeds, where ever I am (seeds are like magnets for me ) and it happened one time I found some canna seeds, figured if the plant makes seeds, they will grow
took a season for them, but the second year I had them blooming

Gone Tropical's Garden
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Flower

Send a message via Yahoo to Kellyann
Originally Posted by gone_tropical View Post:
of course you'll have a big and full canna plant much faster starting them from tubers. And since they grow fast, it is no big deal to chop a piece of root for sharing
Lord how true that is GT!!! LOL A few years ago I dug up some tubers and planted them along one of my front gardens and from the get go they took off like little rabbits which was great because they formed a sort of privacy wall around my duplex at the time. But I had to thin them at least 3 times a year to keep them under control, then it took a good year to finally get rid of the last tuber when I wanted them gone. This year I bought the low growing tropical sunrise......and they're going in a big pot!! LOL
-->