Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Miscellaneous > Coffee Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Flowering Shrub

WinkWhy I shouldn't go to walmart (I got new plants!)

Went grocery shopping yesterday & somehow landed in the garden department I try not to go there because 1) I don't need anymore plants - 2) I don't need anything they have - 3) Have I mentioned I don't need anymore plants?
But, regardless, I was there. So of course I'm going to buy something. I ended up with:
Schefflera Arboricola 'petite'
Crassula Argentea 'baby jade'
& an elephant ear bulb that had no tag, so it's a crap-shoot

I wanted to get some Peruvian daffodils, but I think they're spring bloomers, so would it be to late in the year to plant them?

Then, just to push the envelope I stopped at Lowes today & got a little pot of ponytail palm (to go with the big one I have) & ended up splitting the pot into four seperate plants (WHY do they do that?? It's not going to grow that way you know..)

So anyway, that's what I bought & why I don't go to walmart
Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Sprout

HAHAHAHA!!! Walmart got me today too. 3 peony bare root, 3 more day lily bare root. My be late in the year to see blooms from em this year, for the peonies anyway but yeah, it was only 9 dollars for all 6, how could I pass it up?? It's a good thing my husband found me when I did because I was out in the greenhouse ready to go crazy
Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Blade of Grass

Send a message via Yahoo to Donna Dean Send a message via Skype™ to Donna Dean
UGH! I will never buy plants from Wal-Mart again!!! I have a close friend that works at my local Wal-Mart in the garden center. He informed me that Wal-Mart has recently changed their policies and that not only do they have to water them three times a day (which basically drowns them) but they are no longer allowed to mark anything down below 50 percent. I have seen them throw away bin loads of perfectly good plants because they marked them down to 50 percent and after one week that no one bought them at that price they got thrown away! I asked my friend to tell me where they were taking them when they threw them away and he said that they were not allowed to tell anyone because if anyone got caught taking anything out of the "trash" then Wal-Mart would press charges for theft. Grrrr...taking deep breaths. Okay, I have calmed down. I am just very passionate about my babies and I hate to see anyone treating plants badly.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Flowering Shrub

gr8gma's_green_thumb_girl - Glad I'm not the only one it got! I don't think I've ever seen bare root plants at our store..interesting.
I've already learned anytime I go to that store that it's best if I don't have access to more than $10-$15 because I will buy way too much So I gave DH all the cash & only took what I felt was safe

Donna Dean - I knew that, but here's the thing (& I don't want to offend anyone, so I'm going to say it as respectfully as I can), I don't have it in me to care *shrug* I have a lot a of causes/interests that I am involved in, I generally try to be a good person, but on this on? Nope.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

LOL..oh gosh I too am sch a sucker for the walmart garden center! I saw hanging baskets today of the most beautiful variegated philos..nice full baskets..but alas there is no money at the moment. I did get the bricks i need to finish a flower bed by my back patio

I dont know if you all have Bi-Mart stores were you live bt we do here and last month hey had all the bulb, tuber..and all those plants that come in the plastic bags in the carbord bins..on sale for 75% off! i went to town buying dahlias, gloxinia, astrible, and some other things I cant remember. My gloxinia is blooming now.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Sprout

They sell the bare root plants next to the bulbs Not the wonderful variety you can find at nurseries but honestly the prices are the lowest I've ever seen. The daylily new toy I got came with 3 roots in one package that I paid 3 bucks for. They are all 3 already thriving and producing new growth just days after planting.

To the don't buy plants from walmart-if nobody buys them, then they all get thrown away... Just a thought. Also the green stores have their own compost that plants, fruits and veggies go in so they continue the cycle at least. Walmart packages & sells it nationwide.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Forest

Smile

Ha I didnt buy a thing at walmart this year ..
I was at Home depot, cause Lowes made me mad.
Just for spite I bought 6 dollars worth of purple flowers.. LOL Petunias an something else.....
They jump in my cart sideways..

Crazy lowes..i went for a switch box for a plug in my house.
On the aisle it said $1.65
When I got to the counter.. she rung up $3.65.
I said Whoa it said $1.65 back there. She replied if you buy a certain amount like builders do , its lower.......So I replied , Keep it , walked out an got a 99 cent one at home depot.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Flowering Shrub

Bali - I would have been pissed too! Our Lowe's has two price tags on everything one for 'regular' people & one for 'construction' people. Makes me kind of mad, but at least they have two tags! Your store I would be like wtf?? No.
We don't have a Home Depot close (or I don't think we do?).
Old 06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Forest

Smile

Just started it here. I walked right out the door, Home depot is right across the highway from it.

They do it again I am going to say I will report you for false advertising.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Bush

Millaegers only tosses clippings (that they could root) and actual bad plants that aren't doing well that I've seen in there compost

Wallmart sounds like such a waste! I only really would buy if they were dirt cheap as for the trash count how good is you're night vision? And lol is it kept in a lit area? Under a camera that records? And lol for how long? If you go at midghnight no torch and it can't see you nor do outher cameras catch you you could technically get away but you'll not be able to tell anyone the specific details (yup it bugs me)

I can kinda get the watering 3 times during high heat tho the pots should have drainage in them so the water can get thru but even then I only really water once a day (about 2-3 rounds to everything tho)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Flowering Shrub

Ok, on WalMart throwing out plants - since apparently it's going to come back up...
1) WalMart does not just throw all the purchased plants into the garbage & call it that. They (as another poster stated already) send them, along with all old food & other compostable materials to be composted organically - the company who gets them varies by location. So if your going to protest WalMart for throwing them out, please make sure you aren't buying them from the company who's turning them into compost
2) If you are that worried about the plants being reused, my only solid advice to avoid it is to go to your local WalMart & buy them all.
3) I would rather worry more about the massive amount of food they waste - that is food that could be donated to food banks/free kitchens to feed human beings.
4) Lowe's/Home Depot/Etc does mark their plants down more - but if they don't sell they get thrown in the trash - wasted for real.
5) No, you cannot have the plants they throw out, if they let everyone who wanted to go threw their plant pile then why would anyone buy plants? They could have them for free! In their eyes if you want it - you buy it (& no, I don't blame them)

My local nursery is all organic & all family owned. I know for a fact that they drop the prices on nothing it either sells at the price it's marked or it gets composted & reused. Should I stop shopping from them because of this? No, because from a business stand point I understand where their coming from. Weather selling it as a plant of a compost they still make pretty much the same from it, so why discount it & lose money?

Now, can we please get back to the original topic?
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Flowering Shrub

I've had a multi bulb pot of pony tail palms for years and they do just fine....and as for wal-mart I get in less trouble there then I do at Lowes! lol
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Forest

Smile

Originally Posted by mintygirl View Post:
Ok, on WalMart throwing out plants - since apparently it's going to come back up...
1) WalMart does not just throw all the purchased plants into the garbage & call it that. They (as another poster stated already) send them, along with all old food & other compostable materials to be composted organically - the company who gets them varies by location. So if your going to protest WalMart for throwing them out, please make sure you aren't buying them from the company who's turning them into compost
2) If you are that worried about the plants being reused, my only solid advice to avoid it is to go to your local WalMart & buy them all.
3) I would rather worry more about the massive amount of food they waste - that is food that could be donated to food banks/free kitchens to feed human beings.
4) Lowe's/Home Depot/Etc does mark their plants down more - but if they don't sell they get thrown in the trash - wasted for real.
5) No, you cannot have the plants they throw out, if they let everyone who wanted to go threw their plant pile then why would anyone buy plants? They could have them for free! In their eyes if you want it - you buy it (& no, I don't blame them)

My local nursery is all organic & all family owned. I know for a fact that they drop the prices on nothing it either sells at the price it's marked or it gets composted & reused. Should I stop shopping from them because of this? No, because from a business stand point I understand where their coming from. Weather selling it as a plant of a compost they still make pretty much the same from it, so why discount it & lose money?

Now, can we please get back to the original topic?
jUST ONE LAST THOUGHT ON THE PLANTS AN WALMART.. They are in the selling business just like any other store.. Just think if your having a garage sale, do you give the unsold stuff away or NOt?mm
No sense getting upset its the honest thing to do.
Smile.......
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by bali View Post:
jUST ONE LAST THOUGHT ON THE PLANTS AN WALMART.. They are in the selling business just like any other store.. Just think if your having a garage sale, do you give the unsold stuff away or NOt?mm
No sense getting upset its the honest thing to do.
Smile.......
The bolded Exactly.

The other part, if I have a yard/garage sale, at the end of the day if anything doesn't sell I do donate it to the thrift store. But that's a little different
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Flowering Shrub

aravenschild - I get in less trouble at Lowes, but only because if I feel like I'm going to spend too much I go to the cactus/succ area & see the prices. Knocks me right back into check
-->