Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Miscellaneous > Coffee Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

ExclamationA Reminder about Internet Safety

Recently, at another site which I visit occasionally, someone had a frightening experience that prompted another member to post a link to THIS ARTICLE which I thought that I would re-share here.

It's thought provoking and the author makes some very good points that apply to all of us who enjoy chit-chatting together in any wide open situation such a as a web forum - where, not only might any other member NOT be exactly who they claim to be, but anyone just "surfing the web" can also look in and read whatever we post.

A good rule of thumb is; read your own post before you push the submit button - if the info that you are about to post is not something that you would happily print out on a piece of paper and hand out to hundreds of complete, random strangers in the middle of Times Square - then it's probably not a good idea to post it out on an open thread.

I mean, how much do you really want a bunch of random strangers to know about you?
Do you really want them knowing that you're going to be away from your home on vacation for a while? Or that your little doggie isn't really much of a watch dog?

Only you can control how much you say, please keep yourself safe.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 08-24-2014 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Tree

Thank you Zuzu for sharing this article with us. I don't think the fact that there's danger everywhere diminishes this warning. It's a good reminder for all of us. While social sites like Facebook and Twitter have security settings to limit who has access to your information and posts, most sites do not.