Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Iowa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Sprout

SmileAnyone From Iowa?

I live about 40 miles SE of Sioux City, and I am so excited that this rain and warmer weather are finally getting rid of the snow here! Yesterday, I was at our post office, in town, and the daffodills were about 2 1/2" high! Finally, some signs of life here! Just wondering if anyone else lived in Iowa or around here. The Garden Club I belong to meets for the first time this season, in just a few weeks (we've all had cabin fever), so I'm really excited about that. Also, if you do live near enough, I know lots of people who are continually changing their beds and thinning them, so if you're in need of hostas or Iris's, I could help you find some. I'm just getting started on my yard, we've moved into the house my husband grew up in, and his mom didn't do plants, so last summer, we ripped out the evergreen boxes she had, and began with new stuff. We're just doing a little at a time, as our budget permits.

Thanks,
Jillian
Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Tree

Jnortner,

Hi! I am from Iowa. I was born in Des Moines, and grew up in Newton, just east of DM on interstate 80. After college, I went out into 'the world' and never made it back to live. But I still go for visits, once or twice a year, to visit my mom in Newton, and my oldest brother and his family in DM.

I now live in Miami, FL.

For me, Iowa will always be 'home'. I don't miss the cold winters, but I sure do miss the changes of seasons. For the past several years, my mom has come to Miami for a couple of months during the winter.

I am hoping to take my 3 month old baby girl to Iowa over the summer sometime, for another extended visit to her grandma.

I always love running into people from Iowa on the forum. Laura 13617 is from Iowa.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Flowering Shrub

Talkinganyone from iowa

i know this is realy out of date but thought i would answer anyway. i was looking for any plant swap meets here in iowa and your inquirey popped up. we belong to plant swap my wife and i live in the central southern part of the state we have been retired almost 5 years. i worked 23 years at the university here,my wife the better half of davsher ran a daycare for over 20 years. we retired the same day,this is our 2nd year gardening for real in the past we did have veggies but this year we drew up a plan to tru to make a cottage garden it's based on a plan my grand mother did with the plants her mother had grown,and some that Thomas Jefferson had grown . sorry to see it's been a while sence you have been on plant swap still the great place it used to be. hope you are still gardening. David
Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Blossom

Looks like this board is old but I am in Iowa & just joined. I'd love to find some local people to chat with & maybe swap some plants with.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Flowering Shrub

the board may be old but so am I. the other two on here have not been here for a while. I got your message automatically. welcome to our little site very nice people on here. I think secretly they all came from Iowa. have a great day, think green, David
Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Blossom

Haha your comment made me laugh! Thanks for the warm welcome. ^_^ Everyone has been so lovely on here. I am feeling right at home.

I thought there would be a lot more people on here but this board is quiet. Maybe we can liven it up!!!

What kind of gardening do you do? Flowers, veggies, both? I am working on a 400 sq foot pollinator garden this summer, as well as removing old bushes are replacing them with my favorites. Mainly roses and hydrangeas. ^_^
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Flowering Shrub

this will be our 2nd year building a flower garden based on my grandmothers cottage garden. the plants are based on the ones her mother grew in hers. plus I used a plant list from Monticello. with that plan I traded seeds the winter before to have seed to start the plants. We also do a small veggie garden. we start most of our own plants. last year we started around 80 tomato and about the same for pepper plants. gave some to family and friends. Getting ready to plant potatoes, and growing our own sweet potato slips. hope you have a great time in your garden. David & Sherry
Old 04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Blossom

That is wonderful! I haven't ventured into growing food yet. I am still working on my garden. Just took a peek after work and I have a ton of swamp milkweed growing. Way more than I expected. I'll probably have a bunch to give away!

Thanks hope you do too!!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Sprout

From Iowa Too

I too am from Iowa born and bred here
I am transplanted from the Minnesota border to central Southern Iowa (Lucas County)
I have just started flower beds and still looking for things but do have very few to share
Welcome here there are tons of nice people here
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Flower Garden

Thegarden, keep me in mind if you are thinning your swamp milkweed please.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Blossom

Hi Caren! Lovely to meet a fellow Iowan. Thank you, I am enjoying this site quite a lot. What types of flowers are you wanting to grow?

Swamp - I surely will dear. ^_^ Would you be interested in mailing some actual plants this year or just seeds for next year? I'm not sure how to mail live plants but I will find out if you do.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Acorn

I am from Iowa, about 30 miles se of Sioux City. I love to plant new items all the time, but it's hard to find any that will survive in Iowa. Enjoy this site.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Acorn

Hi! I'm from Central Iowa not far from newton as Laura mentioned. I don't do a lot of vegetable gardening but love clematis. I also grow iris, daffodils, hostas, and others. I've enjoyed a couple hummer buddies and keep food out for them. Your posts are enjoyable.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Acorn

I am from Iowa. Just joined

Hello.
I am from Iowa too. Central iowa, by Fort Dodge. If anybody wants to swap, let me know
-->