Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Acorn

QuestionGrowing Wildflowers in Idiana

A few questions:

I know we just had some super cold nights and even snow here in Indy the last few days but, I was wondering when it would be okay to direct sow some wildflower seeds that I have. I'm itching to get them into the ground so that I have something to show after my tulips are gone. Any ideas?

The package says plant after 70F. Is that the daily average temperature? The soil temperature? I have no idea when to start. I planted some 40F penstemons seeds a few days before the frost. They are probably toast.

How many Hoosiers here have tulips and did you cover them? (I didn't the first night but after I saw snow, I caved and covered them the second night of cold temps.)

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
Flower Garden

I believe that when the package says plant after 70 degrees – it means that the average daytime temp will remain around 70 or above. If you are itching to plant, perhaps you can start some of your seeds indoors and then have nice sturdy plants to put into the ground when it gets a bit warmer.

As far as the tulips go – I have never covered my tulips, daffodils, or hyacinths up when they have come out of the ground and then we had a sudden snow or a freeze. Although they seem to hang their heads and pout for a day or two after it warmed up a bit – I have never lost them to spring snows or freezing temps– even when they were in bloom and got buried under the snow.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Flowering Shrub

the soil temp here is 43 degrees. I have some wild flower seed that I am going to sow. I figure if they were in the wild they would already be sowed. and when the temps are right they will germinate. good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Blossom

Depending on how many seeds you have, I'd probably try putting some directly in the garden now, and then start some inside just in case. It'd be a good way to find out if they'd survive these temperatures. And then if they don't grow, you've got some backups.

I agree with davsher, they probably just won't germinate until the warm weather hits but I could be totally wrong. Good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes??

Tags
#timetoplant #questions, #wildflowers
-->