Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the Midwest > Illinois

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Acorn

Getting Started in IL

Hi,

We've recently moved from South Africa to south-central Illinois (zone 5) and are in the planning stages of establishing a garden here. We're on a fair sized lot out of town.

My primary questions concern the following:

Fruit trees: What can I grow here? Peaches, pears, apples, cherries would be nice, but I'm obviously going to be dictated by the weather. Any advice on types and varieties would be wonderful.

Succulents: My wife is a succulent nut and wants to get some going in a small rockery. I'm pretty certain that we will not be able to have succulents outdoors because of the cold. Any chance of brightening her up with good news?

Creepers: We've just put up a large deck area and I'd like to cover the structure with a creeper for practical as well as aesthetic reasons. I need pointers on what to go for: I require vigorous growth, sweet blooms and attractiveness. Are there any native plants I should consider or am I stuck with honeysuckle? Will Jasmine grow here?

Thanks for your assistance and apologies for the long post.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Flower

Talking

Hi Pat
Quote :
Succulents: My wife is a succulent nut and wants to get some going in a small rockery. I'm pretty certain that we will not be able to have succulents outdoors because of the cold. Any chance of brightening her up with good news?
There are lots of Succulents that should grow in Il. Sempervivum (Hen & Chicks or House Leeks) are 1 group that will take mid West winters outside. Comes in all sizes and colors and mixed w/Sedums makes a great display.Just Browse under Hardy Sedums or Succulents. You can see some different colored Semps in my album
Welcome to the GROUP!
cliff

my photo bucket pics file:///C:/Users/cliff/Documents/Dizzy%204%20Tizzys.htm?page=1

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 06-21-2012 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: fixed quote field for clarity
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Flower

I'm not familiar with IL climate and growing conditions but I did want to say WELCOME Pat ...I think you'll like it here and I hope you can find what you're looking for in both plants and friends here on Plant Swap ...give your wife a warm welcome also...I'm just starting out on succulents myself but maybe in the future I'll have something to send your way as a welcome to the States gift...I don't have any rooted cuttings of any fruit trees but we do have fig trees and I can access peach trees and grape (scupernong) vines...don't know how easy or hard those are to root from cuttings but could possibly send you some cuttings if you decide they will work for you and you're interested...as far as creepers for your patio I have a few cypress vine seeds and different morning glory seeds I can send you...not sure how those work in your area...you'd have to ask around...anyways wasn't meaning to overwhelm ya...just wanted to say welcome
Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Flower

Send a message via Skype™ to nyrak33333
Hello Pat first you need to know what zone your in. Illinois has 2 zones, 5 and 6. Here is a zone map so you can tell where you are
http://www.planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/ zone can also be divide in 2 section, label 5a, or 5b and so on. Once you know your zone, you will want plants that grown in you zone. Most garden center in your area, will have plant that grow in you zone. When buying plants on line, or ordering them, the supplier will normally state the zone that the plant will grow in. Here is a link to the University of Illinois
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/wildflowers/default.cfm this site has information on native plant for your state. Hope this help, welcome to Plant Swap, and the good old USA. Hope to see you around the site!

Check out my swap list!

Last edited by nyrak33333; 07-03-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Acorn

Many thanks to all members for their replies - much appreciated.

The zone system is a little confusing. Some sources put me in zone 6 and others in zone 5.

After checking the USDA map, I am pretty much on the cusp between zone 6a and 6b.

I will most certainly poke around to see what will work for us here.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. I will be posting regularly on the forum to glean insight on native species and their suitability to the projects we are planning.

Our past gardening has been focused very much on conserving water and keeping our garden indigenous.

We are looking forward to getting a lot done with all the new and interesting plants in this part of the world!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Flower Garden

Hello and welcome
Old 10-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Sprout

Sedum autumn joy I have pink and red flowering varietys, you cut them back every winter and they grow back in spring. If ou wanna trade for a cutting pm me
Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Blade of Grass

A great bi texas hello!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Forest

Smile

Its cold there in the winter
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe Pat will check back in with us one of these days - but this thread is pretty old (June 2012),
and he hasn't logged back in since 2012 ... so

Closed Thread

Tags
fruit, succulents
-->