Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Delaware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Blossom

The Nursery I Found

I was driving on some back roads and passed a nursery/greenhouse so decided to stop by. It was just a small family owned one (they lived there) and the man who runs it is an older gentleman. But boy did I make out! They had some great deals.

They had the biggest hanging baskets you have ever seen for FIVE dollars!!!!!! I got some that were 3 feet long! They also had tons of FREE annual flats! I guess they just had too many and they weren't looking too good but I think I can bring a lot of it back to life. If not, it was free! They just want their flats/pots back if I can.

He also has the world's biggest pumpkin carriage- it is in Guiness! You can ride it in the fall! Oh and everywhere you looked- pots with seedlings and they were all mums. 10,000 of them! He said they will be very large by fall and he only charges $4!

Anyway, just had to share my cool find.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Critter Rescue Angel

Wow that is awesome! You got some great deals and sounds like the older gentleman was happy to give them to you. I love family owned nurseries and restaraunts, they are just so much more personable.

Way to go, congrats on the great finds
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Blossom

Thanks! We can't wait to go back in the fall to get some mums and other things. Oh and to take our kids to ride the pumpkin carriage!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

What a great find!! That pumpkin carriage sounds very cool, I'd love to see a pic.
Such a nice reminder that there are still some real treasures "hidden" down the less traveled roads,
it's worth going exploring every now and then.

Yep, I think I'm overdue for a drive in the countryside, hope I get as lucky as you did.

Last edited by zuzu's petals; 06-25-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome..deal..You was truly blessed!

"Even if sin did come into the world through a woman....so did the Saviour!"
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Blossom

I did take a quick pic from my car, I will upload it later
Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Tree

Sweets, where in Delaware? I'm up past Philly so perhaps not too far for a good deal.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Blossom

It is in Cheswold, which is practically Dover (just north of by a few minutes).

On Seven Hickories Rd/Rt 40
Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Blade of Grass

I can not even begin to share your enthusiasm over your find. Based on my experience as a small businessman at least 40 cents of every dollar is budgetted to the Federal, State, County or Local tax entity. So on that $5.00 hanging basket, $2.00 is already shot. From the remaining $3.00 the guy needs to purchase a basket, planting medium and plant material plus water and fertilizer and whatever utilities needed to keep the greenhouse frost free. Plus a portion of that $3.00 also goes to putting shoes on the family's feet, a roof over their head, clothes on their back, and food on the table.

The numbers simply don't added up that this guy is a legititamate business. We each make our own choices. As a small business owner myself that flies in the radar, I'd either do without or pay more before I would trade with this parasite. I just get compared to these parasites on a daily basis and I have neither the time nor compassion for them, US citizen or not.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Blossom

Well I wouldn't be calling him a parasite yet. You nor I know his story. Most of the plants were really bad looking, which I think I mentioned in my first post, so maybe they did cost more and now he is just trying to move them out. Even if he is not a legitimate business, he is still a really sweet old man trying to feed his family. They lived in a sad, old trailer with who knows how many people. His nursery was not that much bigger than a side of the road fruit stand and his greenhouse was all tore up and gras growing through the bottom. So maybe he doesn't make enough to have to pay taxes? Maybe it is just a very small time thing he does in his retirement. Or maybe he does pay taxes, you don't know.
-->

« - | - »