Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the West > Colorado

Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Blossom

Freezing

Well Friday our water froze to the house but not the spigot. So at least we were still able to get water not fun but can manage that. Wellllll....Sunday we get the water thawed at about 10:00 pm. Well you would think that was a good thing but as luck would have it the line at the other spigot was shooting water that a sprinkler system. So my husband and my 13year old son are out digging till 1:00am Monday. So we had to dig up the line and replace some pipe. Well we know have water and I am a HAPPY woman. Life is good enjoy it find the good in the rough times for you can become closer as a family or friends. Love my life and my family.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Flower Garden

BZmom what a terrible experience to deal with in freezing temps. So happy that you hubby and son were able to get it fixed. Suddenly being without water is just horrible. Bet hot chocolate and a nice fluffy pillow were due right after the pipe replacement. Family can be wonderful.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Blossom

Well they were both so tired and beat got them warm and my son crashed in no time. The thing is we live at the mouth of a canyon so the morning it froze it was 16 below it has been really cold with the wind chill even colder. I think I take things for granted I mean like the simple things in life.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Flower Garden

I think we all have a tendency to take many things for granted and it takes something like what you experienced to remind us of how truly blessed we really are.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Flowering Shrub

Oh not good We're dealing with frozen septic lines right now. Winter needs to be OVER.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Flower Garden

Sorry that your pipes froze, wish I could send you some 50-70 degree weather for a few days or just let me have cold enough for a couple or three good snows,lol, just not below 0 thank you. Stay safe, warm and blessed
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Forest

Smile

So sad
Good luck all of you an your pipes.

One never knows what the day will bring.

bprayers for all
bali
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Tree

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr couldnt imagine having to go w/o water, especially when its freezing.
Whats worse, is having to get out there in the freezing weather to make the repairs. Luckily your hubby & son were able to get repairs made.

We arent in the freezing temps as you are, but same thing happened the weekend we moved into our new house 3yrs ago. Sucked for sure.

Hubby just noticed over this past weekend, we have a huge hole in the old pipe under the kitchen. Since its been raining, we tried a temp repair (ducktape & electrical tape), once we did that, of course the kitchen sink backed up wouldnt drain. Its been raining for days, and the ground is too wet to get under house to replace pipe. But luckily when I got home, the sink was able to drain. Not looking forward to replacing the pipes under house though. Luckily, my hubby & sons (they dont know it yet), but they will be doing
repairs as soon as it dries up.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Blossom

Send a message via Yahoo to castlehaynenc
We have been blessed with warm weather, but I know plenty about freezing pipes...allowing them to drip at night when the temps drop real low, etc. Our home, we just bought, was abandoned for some time. Another, older, home sat beside it. Once we bought ours, the owners next door decided they should probably take care of the falling down home next to us. They hired someone with a tractor to do some work, and when they brought the tractor in, they ran over OUR lines....we came home from a day out to a sinkhole and a massive leak. I can definitely sympathize!! We were out working under flashlights and car headlights to replace the broken lines. Not fun!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Blossom

My husband and son had hunting caps that have a built in light in the bill and then they were using flashlights. It was heart warming to see my son out there beside his dad through the whole thing. Well it was a little warmer this am it was 10 below so that is an improvement. Today it is suppose to get up to 30 but boy I am ready for some warmer weather.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Blossom

Oh my hopefully they will thaw soon. Have never had that problem before. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Flower Garden

Mintygirl, looks like you moved to the wrong state. With frozen septic pipes it sure must be cold where you are. Hopefully things will improve for you soon.

Cathy, under the house pipes are the worst to deal with, having such confined space to work in. Hope the pipe that needs replacement is in an easy to work in area. Maybe you could get a ground hog or a couple dozen moles to help you dig up the pipe.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Bush

I feel awful for you guys having lines freezing. That is just the worst thing to deal with and it's not like you can just wait til the spring thaw. I can remember all the four letter words I've heard my dad say over the years when pipes froze. We would always leave a little water run at night, but inevitability someone would forget and the cussing would begin.

I gotta say, there is no way on earth you could drag my body to a place that gets that cold!! As they say....when hell freezes over! I think 20 degrees is just terrible and I can't even imagine 20 below. I think the coldest I can ever remember is about 14 below, but it was only for a few days.

I you guys are getting it figured out and being careful for the men of frostbite!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Tree

Luckily the pipe is not underground, just in an awkward space underneath the house, which doesnt have much of a crawl space. Hubby was barely able to wiggle underneath to investigate, but we'll have to wait until it dries up, have a small waterhole there.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Flowering Shrub

Cindy- I can remember nights back home (you know - where you live ) that were -15F. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Plumbers came out and fixed it all up It has been around -5F to 5F here at night and about 25F to 35F here in the day (up from 15F in the daytime though)
-->