Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Arkansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Flowering Shrub

Must have rocks

Here is a project that came out pretty well...
The rock in the front weighted over 500lbs, and let me tell you it wasn't easy to move by hand! The rock was delivered by a forklift and set about twenty feet from where it ended up. The other rocks were picked up across town and they happened to follow me home....regardless they have found a great place to be!

The plants are simple: Butterfly and white/purple Impatiens(they are not taking the heat very well)

Scott (fun with rocks) B
Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Flower

VERY pretty! That looks like a lot of hard work, but is surely worth it! Good job!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Very nicely done ... I am also intrigued by the stone lined rill I see at the edge of the shot.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Sprout

I love your garden there ! I am loving rocks now too! I am trying to get my hands on some!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Tree

Beautiful rock garden, u have a ton of rocks, we should call u rocky.hahaha
Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by zuzu's petals View Post:
Very nicely done ... I am also intrigued by the stone lined rill I see at the edge of the shot.

That is actually the town drainage ditch! Putting the rock wall and back filling the front and backside is still an ongoing thing. Need a few more spot filled completely, and then the grass will be left to fun free!

Scott (no concrete in my ear) B
Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Flower

How did you kill the grass around you rock bed and still be able to plant flowers? I've been afraid to put any weed killer down. How did you do that? I want to do rocks also. Have, since Spring. But now help yet. I want to make a mound of rocks and put the plants in and around the rock, something like a rock garden. Not sure what it will look like. But I want to give it a try anyway. Thanks for post the beautiful pic's. I just love it. Great work.
Deb
Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Flowering Shrub

I used Round-Up concentrate mixed in a pump type spray applicator, held the nozzle as close to the base as possible, and poof! No more grass around the base.... I won't leave the dead grass for long, I'll get the garden rake out and clean it up(it's was too hot the other day to do it), and then it'll be good to go for a few weeks before this wild grass reclaims the area.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Scott (rocks don't argue too much) B
Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Deactivated Account per member request

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyfingernails
Nice job Scott,
When I lived in the N.E. I had all the rock I needed for my landscaping,but down here we have to have it imported. There are a few places that do have limerock though.
Happy gardening,
Bill
Old 07-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Flowering Shrub

I've always loved rocks and you will oftentimes hear me whining on Plantswap about the beautiful rocks in the pictures I see here and can't participate in. When I was a child in Michigan (just a few years ago) I made the most beautiful rock garden. I took a hill of soil and planted flowers an ivy. Then I placed a plastic over it and made holes for my plants. I surrounded the tarp with large rocks in an odd circle (not a round circle-gave it character) Then I filled in betwen the flowers with gorgeous rock from the lake at my grandparents house. You couldn't see a hint of soil once the flowers grew big enough. Every time I watered my flowers those rocks would shine and glint in the sunlight-it was truly a beautiful sight to see. Wish I had a picture. Now I grow dark sweet potato vine down the rocks I brought from 1000 miles away to Oklahoma for my waterfall and it reminds me of being a child. I have reds, golds, blacks, tans, pure whites and greens-all from the beaches of Lake Huron. So pretty.
You did an excellent job with your rocks-so glad to see more people showing an appreciation for our geological resource of beauty! If you aren't into rocks yet- Your missing out!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Flowering Shrub

Smile

That is quite the eye catcher. I didn't realize rocks could make something look beautiful! You've done a wonderful job!

Ok_Nurse, you made that sound so wonderful! I enjoyed hearing the history behind your rocks! Thank you for sharing.

*The wind of Heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse*
~Arabian Proverb
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Blade of Grass

Loving it!!! I'm green with envy.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Sprout

oh my goodnes - that is beautiful! I, too, am a big fan of rocks. We are fortunate enough to live near a heavily wooded area that is full of beautiful rocks! I'm always taking walks there and bringing home more treasures! I've printed out your photo to use as a guideline for yet another new flower bed!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by CoachG View Post:
oh my goodnes - that is beautiful! I, too, am a big fan of rocks. We are fortunate enough to live near a heavily wooded area that is full of beautiful rocks! I'm always taking walks there and bringing home more treasures! I've printed out your photo to use as a guideline for yet another new flower bed!

I wish you the best of luck in moving the gaint stones. They tend to be problematic, but with some fortitude it will finally do as you want.

This stone was angled so the neighbors kid couldn't throw his beer bottles into my yard anymore without showering his parents yard with glass(very little if any glass remains in my yard, and really makes his parents mad)!
Had a nick-nack on it, but the target was too tempting.

Scott (getting upset, I'll stop) B
Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Flowering Shrub

Here's another small rock garden for the wife's favorites! This will be filling out next year, but things are winding down for the lilies now.

Scott (neighbors think I'm wierd) B
-->