Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Arkansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Sprout

Magnolia, AR swap if enough interest

I would like to have a plant swap in Magnolia, AR around July or August if there's enough interest. Magnolia is about an hour from Texarkana. I will probably rent the pavilion at Logoly State Park so we'll be under cover in case it rains. If too many people sign up, I'll have to find somewhere else. I thought about the fairgrounds but to rent the pavilion or arts & crafts building is $300/both for $400. Basically, right now I'm just trying to get a head count of anyone interested in attending. Once a date & location is confirmed, I'll move this to the calendar. The dates I'm looking at (all Saturdays) are July 18, July 25, August 15, or August 22. From about 9 or 10 a.m. till 2 or 3 p.m. or whenever. Although these are hot months this would give everyone time to organize. The date we decide on will depend on the majority & where we meet.

Here's how the swap will work:

Bring anything garden-related: plants, *cuttings, *bulbs, *seeds, birdhouses, feeders, windchimes, tools, books, potting soil, etc. Items can be handmade, homegrown, or store bought but please make sure everything's labeled.

*cuttings - 2 small or unrooted cuttings will count as 1
*Bulbs - small paper sack will count as 1
*seeds -10 packets of the same or different will count as 1

If you don't have anything to bring you can sign up to bring food, supplies, or door prizes. Absolutely no selling will be allowed. However, if you make stuff or have a business, you can have business cards & brochures to hand out.

The day of the swap you will come "check in" & receive tickets for the items you've brought. You will then take your tickets & items & set up your spot. Once everyone's checked in the actual swap will begin. Each person will take their tickets & start "shopping", buying items with their tickets. All items will be 1 ticket unless marked otherwise. Keep up with any tickets you have left because we'll draw for door prizes at some point. We will also take a break at some point to eat & visit!

***For people who want to bring food, supplies, or door prizes***

You will be given tickets to use for "buying" items & for the door prize drawings. The number of tickets you get depends on the number of items you bring. Once I have a head count I'll let you know so you can plan.

FOOD - Sandwiches, a bucket of chicken, whatever as main dish. Side Dishes, appetizers, desserts. Drinks & Ice - soda, tea, etc. Remember to bring a serving utensil with your dish if one is necessary.

SUPPLIES - paper plates, paper or plastic cups, plastic spoons or forks, napkins or paper towels, name tags or self-adhesive labels, self-adhesive labels in case something's not labeled or to write instructions on, large trash bags for cleaning up afterwards; toilet paper, soap, & paper towels for the bathroom (just in case), extra tables & chairs just in case someone needs one

DOOR PRIZES - Can be anything, garden related or not; handmade, store bought. It's up to you if you want to provide information, value, etc. to be read during the drawing.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED - To put flyers around your town in feed stores, etc. I'll make some up & send you copies or you can make your own. Help with the check-in process. Help with handing out door prizes. Cleaning up afterwards although I think we'll all pretty much pitch in for that. Just pitching in whenever an extra pair of hands is needed.

This swap will be a go if I get enough people to sign up. Post here if you are interested in attending & if you would be signing up to bring food, supplies, or door prizes. I would also like your input on the location & date choices. Depending on the number of people who sign up to attend, my choices are:

Fairgrounds - plenty of parking & walking around space, bathrooms, covered pavilion or arts & crafts building for $300 or rent both for $400. To have the swap here I would have to have everyone sign up to reserve a booth for no more than $10.00 to cover the rental cost.

State park - rent covered pavilion for $60 but add $20 if more than 50 people show up. Parking is limited to about 30 - 40 slots. It's a state park so there's trails to hike, visitor's center with exhibits, & a gift shop when you need a break from the swap. Does have bathrooms. To rent this I would probably have a collection jar at the swap to help defray the cost to me.

Local city park - covered pavilions with a total of about 8 picnic tables, bathrooms are usually icky, parking is limited but there are other places to park, you'd just have to walk alittle. Swings & stuff for kids to do when they get bored or get on your nerves. Free but it would be a crapshoot if we got the pavilions - first come first serve situations.

School parking lot - checking on this because this would probably be free but I've got to find out about a bathroom we could use. It's a parking lot so there's plenty of space. In case of rain we might could get under the walkway right there at the school.

I hope it's alright but since Magnolia is right at the Louisiana/Arkansas state line I posted on the LA forum also. I will be bringing to the swap the tickets we will use & 2 door prizes. Not sure what plants, I'll know closer to the swap. If everyone has to rent a booth, I don't have a problem with renting one.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Sprout

I have moved this swap to the calender since I've got a definate date.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Sprout

If anyone would like to come to the swap, I still need you to sign up here so I'll have an idea of a head count. Especially if you want to bring food, supplies, or door prizes.
-->