Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Arkansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Flowering Shrub

QuestionIt's been hot

And there doesn't seem to be any end in the near future as the Jet Stream has moved further to the north leaving us with this high pressure system. Been watering the plants during the morning hours(maybe too much), and the beds are almost dry by the time I get home(dusty dry!) and yes, I have mulched.

Wondering what others are doing locally to combat the heat? Anything special?

Scott (hard work burning up) B
Old 08-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Blade of Grass

I am in DFW area,and it is hot here too, losing some of my flowers and plants as a result.I'm like you,watering in the morning,not sure if too much,come home to wilted plants.Some perk up,and some I'm losing.MG's are in bad shape,thinking about pulling them up for the season,never have bloomed,now the ants are in the big pots of them.
Everything was so nice in May,now with the heat,not so much.The things that is doing the best are my clematis and water plants,go figure.Losing begonias, and some salvias.... They are saying the heat index will be up to 112 the next few days,I'm workin on mosaics in the cool of the house!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Flowering Shrub

112*F!!!
That's far too hot.

As for the ants, don't get me started. Been fighting with them since I moved into this home. Put stuff in the yard, and they move into the house. Bug bomb the house, they move back to the yard. They seem to like the tree in my front yard, and have taken up residents in the bed surrounding the tree. Thinking about spraying that bed tonight?

Stay in the house, keep cool!

Scott (air-conditioning = priceless) B
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Sprout

Send a message via Skype™ to treehuggers

Ants

Have you tried putting out grits for the ants? I had terrible ants outside - all different types. I heard you could put grits out for them to eat, it expands, and they die. I didn't know which kind, all I had was the instant ones. After, I put it out, I haven't had much trouble at all. They are still out there (on 22 acres), but not on my patios or near the house. My sister had good results, too.I put it on the fire ant hills, too. But it didn't work for that.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Tree

speakin of Hot

I was checkin out e-bay & the plants & came across a Hot Pepper called Peter Pepper Ya,ll have got 2 c this thing.HEEHEE Has anybody got any of the seeds before I order some on line? unbelievable, This is a conversational at u'r party.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Blade of Grass

I have some grits,going to try them. Hate to waste good grits,but something has to give.
-->