Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Arkansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Flowering Shrub

Finally raining....

The grass will go crazy now, but I don't care! The tree in the front yard has decided to start changing colors(thinks it fall or something), but maybe it'll hold on to some green with the much needed slow rain.

I'm guessing that I will be tilling the backyard before the end of next week. Working in compost and taking a soil sample....got plenty of lime remaining from doing a 'food plot' for the deer this spring, so I won't spare it if it needs it. Figuring this rain will loosen up the ground(it is like concrete now), let's hope.

See it's still dry for a lot of the other zones, but we have had enough of the 100+ degree days and deserved a little rain/cooler weather. Hope no one is floating with the storms....

Scott (nothing blew over) B
Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
There's nothing like a nice, slow rain. We've been getting short, quick bursts and really need a rain day. Even my drought-tolerant plants are starting to look rough.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Dry

Yes we are dry her in Pa. I water my on little flower patch thats it, we have a well so I go easy on water, flowers are gettin dried up, so I am collectin seeds for spring!Now I gotta can peaches, work, work, work!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Flower Garden

Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy
We have a well too so I always worry a little but I think we're ok. Trying to water new shrubs & trees we put in this yr. so we don't lose them. Some rain would really be nice.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Blade of Grass

I have rain envy.
I see a cloud,20% chance usually doen't net us any rain though.
Glad to see you got some Scott! When you get done with it,could ya send it over here?
There is what they told me was an artisian well in the side yard,I see a hole with pipe is all.Thinking about exploring that option soon.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Flowering Shrub

I had a little drip from the gutter when I had my coffee this morning on the porch! Not sure how much (hope more than 1/4 inch but not holding my breath!) At least the trees won't die. One of my baby maples I started from seed lost a lot of it's leaves to the drought. LIke you, I'm thinking it will survive. Everything turns to spring again after the drought!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Tree

We are getting a nice steady rain with a lot of thunder and lightning. It's been raining off and on throughout the day but we could use about three days of steady rain! I'll bet tomorrow only the weeds will be bigger and better. I'm also trying to save new trees planted.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Flowering Shrub

Day three without sun...yup, it's been raining or at least drizzling ever since I started this thread/post. Seems strange that it is still doing it during this time of year...

Hard to get out and fire up the tiller, but I'll get the rain gear on later and do it anyway. Got to get the ground prepared for next spring, and the time to start doing it is now.

Scott (tilling in the rain) B
Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Flowering Shrub

We got 4 inches yesterday and everything is wet again today!!!! Strange huh? I guess all my crying to God about my flowers dying touched his heart! Electric bill will be under $500 this month cause I've had the AC off for the second day now and just the attic fan on.
I've been out in the yard pulling weeds so I know whatcha mean about tilling in the rain. Can't get them out of the rock when its dry. I'm gonna get out there today and survey the damage real good. Maybe some of my babies will make it after all. People who don't live here don't seem to understand that you can water all you want but the heat itself kills the plants when it gets this hot for this long. I lost a baby foxglove I got from a swap earlier this spring. I'd been babying it but it finally just pooped. I have one baby left and I think maybe with all this rain it will be ok. Yesterday it had a few little shoots already. Sure would like to see it grow this fall. It got stunted once the heat came.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Blade of Grass

It's true here too,no matter how I took care and watered,I lost several plants. The heat has been brutal this summer.... I want fall
-->