Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Regional > Gardening in the South > Arkansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Flowering Shrub

Cabot, Arkansas checking in

Wanting to find others that garden in my area. Cabot is located about 20 miles northeast of Little Rock on Hwy 167.

I am facing a learning curve that is difficult for me here in the south. Being from Maine, I learned the way to plant there, but here it is different... What plants are you growing, and what plants are too difficult to bother with in this heat?

Scott (keepin' it simple) B
Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Flowering Shrub

I can so relate to your dilemma Scott! I gardened in Michigan all my life until we moved here in 1999. Everything I planted died and I didn't try again until I bought this house 5 years ago. I started going up and down the streets looking at what people had in their yards. I also obtained some of the sales magazines for plants and flowers and looked at which zones their plants grew in. As you start frequenting the local garden sections of your stores, they will supply plants that should do well. Talk to your store workers there. I find that I like the perennal hibiscus alot. Little care and big on beauty. All the daisy types do well. I think the first year I started with honeysuckle, clemantis, carolina jessamine, hibiscus, wisteria, iris, pussywillow, rose of sharon, cannas, elephant ears, lilies, ornamental grasses, grape hyacinth, and cacti. That should get you a start with hardy plants-all easy to grow. I do annual, self seeding zinnias and marigolds each year. We have pretty severe drought conditions in the summer and my soil is awful unless amended. Mulch is a necessity. All the ones I mentioned above only required rototilling (or hand tilling) with a top layer of mulch-No amended soil- except the lily bulbs. Daylilies don't require amended soil either. Simple plants that I love in our climate.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Acorn

hey scott

hey scott,

im south of you in pine bluff, and
right now id just get shade loving plants
since the heat is pretty extreme this time of year.

I just have pretty much vegetables going right now,
with some lavendar, black and blue salvia, lobelia, caladium,
and a few cactii.

I mulch a compost made simply with my grass clippings
and peat moss, holds water pretty well and provides base
nutrients when it decomposes..

like ok_nurse said, find some hardy ones and give plenty of water
in this dry heat

have fun
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Blossom

Hi there Scott,
You can grow alot of different plants here. I think we live in one of the best zone. The only thing I don't like about it here is that the soil has too many rocks in it. I live here in Clinton, Ar.
TTYL!

Last edited by Rosebud; 07-29-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Flowering Shrub

Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post:
Hi there Scott,
You can grow alot of different plants here. I think we live in one of the best zone. The only thing I don't like about it here is that the soil has too many rocks in it. I live here in Clinton, Ar.
TTYL!

My goodness, we don't have any rocks here! I have to haul them here from a ridgeline that runs on the north side of Cabot. I like working with rock borders and love the effect that they produce against the dark soil and the green foliage.
I am trying this in my yard for the first time since moving from the north. It's not easy finding the right plant for the right spot. The sun sure does get intense here...103*F right now according to the temp gauge!(Can't be good for any plant)

Scott (should've mowed the lawn....nah) B
-->

« - | Must have rocks »