Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Acorn

Snake Plant is blooming..!

I have three, one rather large, have all sent up an exotic looking spiky bloom. Not very pleasant smelling. Does anyone know if I can use this to reproduce more snake plants?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Flowering Shrub

I would love to see a picture of this plant in bloom. Can you post one? What color is it?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 AM
BUBBA

Send a message via Yahoo to angmf2233

Snake plant?

I had one for a couple years did not no they bloomed?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Flower

I've had a Snake Plant ( Mother In Laws Tongue )for years and it has never bloomed for me. What did you do to make it bloom? Light, water, fert. etc? I would love to see mine bloom. Which one do you have? Plain green, striped and tall? I have the green one. I do have one start of the striped one and some of the shorter versions that I don't know the names of. If I get a chance I will post pics of all my houseplants and maybe someone can help me put a name on them.
Deb
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Acorn

Snake Plant...

I have the varigated/striped variety. Im not sure what I do to it... they all are very pot bound. But I just splash some water on them once a week and every couple two times water all my plants w/ a weak solution of this vertilizer. Not sure of brand - Its not Miracle Grow, I personally dont like that brand, but this one comes in a plastic container w/ a wide mouth and a little scoop. Light is bright but indirect. I know they dont like direct sunlight. I will have to get some pics before the bloom is gone and upload them on to my page.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Acorn

snake plants will bloom usually around Christmas time, if memory serves me. My moms always bloomed, it was a rather unusual scent. I think if you research, they need nitrogen, but not for sure. They have a very tall spike with white flowers, there are drops of say usually on the spikes also.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Flowering Shrub

Welcome to the site Grandmanemo!

My kids would love to have a "grandma nemo"! They love that movie (hee hee!) I had never heard of a snake plant flowering until I read this thread. I'll have to hit my babies with a little nitrogen fertilizer and see if they wake up! Of course, I just got mine in a swap early this spring so it may take awhile. I had some for years in the past though-never saw flowers. Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Forest

Smile

I have a snake plant for years . Never bloomed..However never was in the sun either..

I repotted it today , first time in years .....The original pot burst from roots.
It had many plants in it , multiplied..........I never did a thing to it.. seldom watered it .

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Acorn

Pictures of the Bloom

Please go to my Plant Album to see recent pics of the Snake plant in bloom...
Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Flowering Shrub

Smile

A friend on mine has one that was blooming a few weeks ago, I'll definitely have to go and see it up close. She doesn't do anything to hers except keep it pulled so it doesn't take over her yard! LOL It has pretty much taken over a 6ftX4ft section that is in the shade and also surrounded by Purple wandering jew. She yanked a few of the flower stalks before she realized that it was the Snake plant that was blooming! LOL How lucky you are to have one bloom for you! Thank you for sharing pics too!

*The wind of Heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse*
~Arabian Proverb
Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Flower

I would think that the bloom would be the only way to get seed. I have one I call Mother in Law's tounge. It is actually verigated, solid green with outside lighter green or yellow edges. I think I have a pic in my plants album. When I have a piece break off, I just stick it in the dirt somewhere and it will root, but it reverts to the "snake" pattern. I think the only way to get a true verigated would be to break the root, or from seed. However, some of mine that I have separated roots have also turned "snake" patterned. If I were you I would sure try to salvage some seed, if there are any, and see what you get when they are planted.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Forest

Smile

If you just take one of the snake plant leaves, and chop it in angles, insert it in the bought soil, keep moist , it roots.......

They say.......

Mine multiplys on its own, I never tried to make more.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Flower Garden

Mine is too

I looked at my snake plant today and mine is blooming too.

I think it got bit off there on the end by rocky the raccoon.
Deb
Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Forest

Smile

I better go look at mine in the am.........I never had a bloom..

My babe in the cradle has 2 buds,,,,,,,

Only 2nd time it bloomed in quite a few years.

b
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Flower Garden

I've never had a bloom before either. And I've had that plant for some time now. I was worried because I noticed the bud while I was repotting it. I was worried that it would not bloom once I repotted. But this evening, there it was . What a surprise!!
Deb
-->