Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Acorn

Please help my lime tree!

Okay, the back story is that I anonymously received this lime tree right around the first frost ( about a month or so ago) I live in the UP of MI so I obviously brought it in the house. It had spider mites, using pyrethrim I got that under control. I have no idea if it needs fertilizer, I did buy some citrus tree fertilizer but haven't used it because it was sopping wet for weeks. It's dried out now, I just watered it yesterday though. The problem is, it's older leaves are yellowing, but not the veins, they are still green. And then they fall off. Like, 5 a day. It's still has newer green ones, but this is my first citrus, and I'm at a loss. I'll attach pictures but any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Acorn

Another picture of the leaves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Acorn

Michigan citrus

Hey there, I saw you didn't have any answers yet so I thought I'd help if I could. I found a whole lot of info for you to peruse at gardenguides.com. Just search Michigan citrus and there it is. There is also a youtube video about growing citrus indoors in Michigan, youtube.com/watch?v=ylu2-XQyRDo . I hope that helps, all I did to get that was google Michigan citrus. I hope your li'l tree comes back healthy and happy and I'm glad it found you to adopt it !
Old 06-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Sprout

The second photo ShayMarie84 attached looks a lot like this one:

That's Citrus Greening Disease [CGD]. Do not bring the infected plant around other citrus plants. Your best bet is to burn it or chop it up and put it in the trash. CGD is untreatable. The plant will die eventually.

There's a buzz about CGD. It's been spreading quickly and poses a threat to all of our citrus trees.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Sprout

Hey ShayMarie,
If it's just the older leaves yellowing, it may just be a simple case of overwatering. Typically, if a potted plant stays too wet for too long, the lowest leaves will yellow and drop. Don't chop or burn your tree unless the leaves look like that pic of the diseased leaves. Just let it dry out a little more. It will recover if it is due to overwatering.
I hope that helps! =)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Sprout

By the way, my hat is off to you! You are most adventurous to try growing citrus in Michigan! Keep it pruned small, because it will have to winter indoors. Good luck! It can be done!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Acorn

Please don't kill unless your sure !

That poor little tree has been through hell ! Considering that it was severely frosted and swamped (two things that citrus hate by the way) before you go murdering the poor thing please just try re-potting it in a clay pot with drainage hole(s) and giving it a good draining soil mix and a citrus fertilizer. Citrus also love sun, so the most you can give it is where it needs to be. The thing is that you need to think of where citrus normally grow, California, Florida and other states that have sandy soil and lots of sun, and then do what you can to make it feel at home indoors. And because it is indoors I don't think you have to worry about infecting other trees especially since everybody else who has citrus there have theirs indoors as well. Give life a chance ! Trees are people too ! Thank you. Oh, and by the way if you google "how to care for potted citrus" you will find a plethora of info on the best soil mixes etc.

Last edited by TreeLovr; 06-13-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 AM
Sprout

DEFINITELY DON'T KILL THE TREE UNLESS YOU'RE SURE!

Inspect new growth closely. By new growth, I mean leaves that are just barely unfurling. Look for a teeny bug with a very distinctive shape. It is dark brown/beige in color but so small that its color will be difficult to pin down with the naked eye. Its shape, though, especially against new growth, will be easy to make out.

If you find this bug, you can be sure your tree is infected.
-->