Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Tree

New clearance rack orchid :)

I got this orchid for $5 at lowes on the clearance rack

Most of the outer roots look nice and white with the darker tips. But the inner ones and a couple on the top look a bit darker and are limp. But they are not really a root rot color...

I bought some orchid potting mix/bark mix to use.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Flowering Shrub

great orchid. Did it come with a tag?
You need to make sure that it isn't sitting in water. The roots need air.
That's a phalaenopsis orchid
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Tree

No tag, but for five bucks it was pretty good

I drilled five holes in the bottom of the container. And air can flow through the bark/potting mix easily.

I couldn't get all of the moss out though, but I managed to pick a lot out of it.

Thanks for confirming that it is a moth orchid, or phalaenopsis. I thought that was what it was because of how it resembled the rest of them.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Flowering Shrub

Not that it's a big deal to me...or anyone that likes plants for their flowers, but orchid people are weird about un-named orchids. Yours is a noid. (no id ). I had one of mine for 3 years before I knew what the tag meant. haha
Since there are so many orchid hybrids out there it's impossible to i.d. one if the tag is lost
The sphagnum moss that is left in the roots is going to dry slower than the orchid mix. Those roots will rot. It's important to get all the moss out. It took my about an hour to tweeze the moss out of the roots of my mini phal.
The aerial roots look pretty good on this one.
remember most orchid deaths are caused by over watering.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Tree

I may see if I can get more moss out. Will it hurt the orchid if a few roots get damaged? It was terribly root bound for a while at the store.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Tree

Well, bad news, I found a little white mealy bug on the top most leaf... >

I dabbed some rubbing alcohol on it. I may keep the orchid in my bathroom for a couple week or so if I can. It won't get much light but I don't want anything else getting infested,
Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Tree

No mealy bugs for a week So I moved it into my room by some of my other plants It has perked up fine and looks pretty good for my first orchid

I want more now... lol. I need to wait and see how my room looks after I do some rearranging with my fish tanks.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Flower

awesome job reviving it! Looking good
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Tree

Thanks

I have been told by my grandma, and friend that they could never keep orchids alive. but I am getting this one healthy

I really want more now... lol
Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Flower

I hear it is a great talent, and sign of a good green thumb being good with reviving orchids! A friend of mine has been dealing mostly with succulents and orchids the last few years, and I've watched her progress & collection doubling as time goes on lol. I hear once you get the hang of it, you definitely can't go anywhere without bring a new one home that "was in need of help" :P People will probably bring you their sick ones that they've give up on too
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Tree

My grandma doesn't buy plants, and my friend won't buy orchids because he kills them, lol.

I slaved over this plant getting the moss out and getting it cleaned up and repotted. But then after that I didn't really do anything for it other than general care. Watered about once a week, and fertilized once a few weeks ago. Now that it is in the light it is perking up nicely

Lowes has many more orchids in need of saving but most of them just look too far gone, most of their leafs are dead.

Lowes did get a new shipment of mini moths that have variegated leafs though! But they are ten bucks Maybe I will buy one once it looses its flower and goes on the clearance rack :P
Old 09-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Flower

I will be sure to have to check out lowe's and local places as soon as business at home slows down, that sounds like a great idea!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Tree

This was not my first orchid rescue attempt. I tried two dwarfs a few years ago that had root rot terribly, but I could not get them to root.

So probably stick with ones that either don't have rot or if any there is a little bit.

I bought a bag of orchid bark mix. Drilled five large holes in the bottom of the clear container. Picked all the moss out of the orchids roots, then planted it with the bark into the clear container. It seems to like ti so far

Hope you find some cool ones to try
Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 AM
Sprout

hello,I just read this thread,and even though i realize its old

I would love to ask how is your orchid doing now? I too love to rescue Lowe's death row plants.With orchids you have to take it out of the pot,soak in warm water for 1 hour and check the roots.Healthy wet roots should look green and firm.Rotten and dry roots would look brown and if squeezed would feel hollow or slimy...Cut all the dead roots off all the way up to a healthy tissue with clean sissors,wash the base of the orchid with warm running water and replant it into an orchid mix of bark and sphagnum,water lightly with distilled water and put in awell lit place with bright indirect light,next time you water your orchid make sure the mix has dried .Thats all. I am currently rehabilitating one myself
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Tree

Nice to meet another orchid rehabilitator

It looks about the same. Still doing well for me Its right next to the other orchids that are now in my collection.

It bloomed for me also
http://thetillandsiaforums.com/forum...-is-blooming-D
-->