Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Acorn

ExclamationRaising my first Tillandsia!

Hello!

I am completely new to the art of raising air plants, but I have always been so fascinated with succulents and air plants and finally having one of my own makes me so happy.

My boyfriend gifted me this lil' guy he purchased at Whole Foods. He said the florist recommended misting every few days, and that the plant and the moss around it had been glued in place to mount the plant in the ceramic.

I did some reading up on care of air plants immediately after getting him, and found several places that recommended a thorough misting every day, which is what I have been doing. I have been placing him in areas with bright, indirect sunlight. I have had him for about 3 weeks now. I am keeping him indoors, in a relatively cool home (typically 74 degrees inside with ceiling fans on for air circulation).

I don't know exactly what kind of air plant he is, but I have attached photos of my plant "Charlie".

Today, I read some more, and found sources that recommend I soak (completely submerge) the plant for 20-30 minutes every 2-3 weeks, and it should be placed in an area where it can dry out within 3-4 hours. In addition, I read to not surround your plant with moss, as it holds too much water and will cause the plant to rot.

I have a list of questions based on all of the information I have read, and any information that could be provided would be immensely appreciated.

-Typically Charlie's leaves (arms? stalks? tentacles?) appear to be covered with a strange white substance that disappears upon misting. Is this normal, or a sign of under/over watering?

-How should I be watering my plant? Daily misting with 2-3 week soaks? Misting every few days?

-What kind of water should I be using to mist/soak?

-Should I remove the moss from the surrounding area? Has he been surrounded by the moss for too long? Is he going to survive?

-Is the ceramic he is in an okay place for him to be mounted? If not, how should I go about carefully removing him?

-With him being so small, should I trim off the white dried looking tips on his leaves/arms?

I'm very concerned that I have been caring for him incorrectly, and would like to be better educated to help prevent the unnecessary death of a plant that makes me so happy.
I would appreciate any input a more-educated person could give me.

Thank you so much in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 21, 1 44 27 PM.jpg (1,011.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 21, 1 44 31 PM.jpg (947.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 21, 1 44 34 PM.jpg (990.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by MadTay; 08-21-2015 at 05:50 PM..
Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Sprout

I'll be watching this thread because I've killed all mine. Bump
Old 09-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, I think that your plant looks like it's in a good situation - the fluffy moss in the cute container should help to hold a healthy amount of moisture around the plant.

There's an article HERE which has some good info that you may find helpful.

Tags
air plant, care, tillandsias
-->