Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Acorn

QuestionLeggy Pothos Propogation

Hello all!

I'm visiting the family, and my parents have this pothos that they've had for as long as I can remember. It's a beautiful plant, but nowhere near as nice as it could be.

It's in desperate need of a huge pruning, so I offered to cut it back and propogate it for them. Pothos is one of my favorites, so I know I can do it, but there's something I'm not sure on.

This plant my parents have has several feet of just plain, completely bare vine. I am wondering what would happen if I were to trim it and stick these bare parts in water, like I would with the leafy parts?

Would they generate new leaves along with roots, or is it a moot point and I might as well just toss the leafless bits?

Also, new leaves and growth will happen on the leaf scar before the cut, correct?

I really don't want to screw up my dad's plant!!

Thanks guys
Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Tree

when you cut the plant, try to cut below a leaf where you can see the little nubs which are aerial roots starting.
When you plant them, you want the nubs ( aerial roots) below the soil or water surface.
I have several pothos and philodendron and anywhere i cut a vine a new leaf/ vine will take a little bit of a different direction than the original vine was going with a new leaf. It may take a little while but if you are patient it will happen. Just make sure you keeo the cutting well watered but not sitting in mud because being constantly soaked in dirt will rot the cuttings.
About the leafless vines, i have tried it before. Sometimes they will leaf out and sometimes they wont. You just have to give it a try and see but i wouldnt put them in water. I would try them in dirt and the end where you want to see a new leaf cut it at the node where there used to be a leaf.
I hope all this helps you.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Flower

I prefer putting the pothos stems in water, and like trb said, if you plant them in soil, keep the soil moist but not soggy. In my experience the leafless stalks will form leaves but it may take awhile. I normally see them after they have rooted in water for a little while. Be sure to change your water fairly often for the best success if you root them in water. There is some concern that they are not as strong and take a while to acclimate if you root them in water, but in my experience pothos is one of the easiest no kill plants you can have.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Blossom

pothos roots for me where the leaves are cut off, so I would think so! It's worth a try... otherwise you'd just throw it away right?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Flowering Shrub

I cut some from an old plant last fall and put them in water. They all rooted. Just make sure a leaf node is below the water and they will root.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Flowering Shrub

rooted leggy pothos

I cut a few vines in half and they rooted. They are just now putting out leaves. It takes more time than expected.

Tags
houseplant, houseplants, pothos, vine
-->