Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Acorn

UnhappyHelp!

Can anyone tell me what this plant is and what's wrong with it?

I fell in love with it the first time I saw it so naturally I snapped it up. I don't have the slightest idea of what it is or how to take care of it but it seemed happy to be near a window and watered once a week.

It even very cheerfully made a 2,000 mile trip from Colorado to Connecticut without so much as a brown spot!

My cats like to jump on/chew on/otherwise ruin all of my plants, and a week or so ago they made a total mess of all of them. Threw them on the ground, even my big schefflera you can see in the background was sideways.

So of course I had to repot all of my plants, and I left some of them outside for a few days. This one was one of them. It started dying on me right after I did that. I put it in a different pot but I didn't do anything different to it (no new soil) other than leave it outside in the sun for a couple days.

The only problem is that now it's dying and it's dying fast. I don't want my beautiful plant to die completely, i don't know when and if I can get another.

I thought maybe it was waterlogged so I let it dry out and I have been going back to watering once a week or so but it's really depressing seeing it die and I want to help it. I love this plant so much.

(please excuse the mess in the photo)

Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Flower Garden

Its the direct sun that it was out in that has put it in a bad way. It sun can fry a houseplant that has been eased in to being outside and sometimes those that have been eased into it. I don't remember what the plant is called, but when I had one of those the leaves would get to looking horrible if it got to dry too. Just baby it and see what happens but those are pretty easy to find so if it does die in sure you can find another.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Tree

It is a Dieffenbachia, and this particular one is easily found at Lowe's, and sometimes Home Depot.
They hate direct sun, and they do hate being waterlogged. They need quality potting mix to really do well. They are known to be one of the "die-hard" plants, but I've found them to be pretty delicate - the leaves, anyway. They also hate heat.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Flower Garden

Houseplants must be hardened-off when you put them outdoors.

Get your plant into the shade immediately and give it some water. I wouldn't recommend fertilizing it until it revives itself.

Hoping it won't die on you. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Flower Garden

hope it comes back for you it is a very pretty plant
Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Acorn

Thanks guys... I guess I'll just have to keep babying it and hope it doesn't die. In the event that it does I hope I can find another in one of the places you all suggested... thank you
Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Flower Garden

I would also suggest cutting off the dead leaves at the bottom so your plant is encouraged to grow new ones. The center of the plant still looks green and healthy so I think it will live for you.

Fingers crossed and keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Blossom

What does hardened off mean? Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Flower Garden

It's the process of gradually introducing your indoor plants to outdoor conditions, over a period of time instead of all at once.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Acorn

A word of warning for your cats....diffenbachias is poisonous and should be kept away from your cats.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Acorn

Thanks for the concern, but I know.

What my cats like to do more than anything is throw them all onto the floor instead of eat them.

So after I repotted them I moved everything around so it isn't really an issue anymore.
-->