Plant Swap

Go Back   Plant Swap > Garden Talk > Indoor Plants

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Flower Garden

TalkingGrowing Tomatoes out-of-season, Indoors

YES!!! TOMATOES CAN BE GROWN IN WINTERTIME!!!

Tips on Growing Determinate Tomatoes Indoors

Here's my seed-grown "Patio" tomato plant this morning, loaded with fruits...

Notice I keep a little mini tomato cage around the plant to support it? This will prevent it from leaning or falling over completely as it grows about two feet tall in a pot. This plant will produce all Fall & Winter...

No pollination is required indoors to get fruits on your plant...

One thing you should know if you're growing tomatoes indoors though is that edible plants attract pests like no other plants, for obvious reasons, so you must take measures against them, most especially inside.

Here's what I do to ward off leaf-sucking spider mites...

Once a week, I take my two foot tall tomato plant straight to the bathtub...and I lay it right down on it's side and fill the tub up a bit with water, making sure some of the leaves are submerged down in the water.

Before laying the plant down I bag the pot and tie it off, so the soil doesn't seep out into the tub. I swish the leaves around and even use a cup to pour water over them and I turn the plant in the water so that all sides get submerged.

Showering your plant once a week will keep mites away for good & your plant will fourish with tomatoes all Fall and Winter long...

with more on their way...

"Patio" tomatoes grow very quickly...and they ripen fast too...& they're absolutely delicious!

I use a good well draining soil-less medium (Sunshine Pro-Mix #4) and I fertilize regularily with a organic water-soluble formula called DNF (Dutch Nutrient Formula). I also mix some Blood & Bonemeal into the soil when I first pot the seedling up into it's larger home container.

Fertilizing your tomato plant is extremely important if you want want an abundance of plump fruits, so this is something to pay special attention to. Mine gets a dose each week without fail.

I'll show more shots soon...

: )
Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Blossom

Thanks for the info. I grew some cherry tomatoes on my east facing windowsill last winter and got three tomatoes and lots of mites out of it. I had it in one of those long planters that is impossible to bag for the bath tub trick you describe. So now if I try it again I know just what to do.
I also think I was not fertilizing enough.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Tree

WOW thats great, I can almost taste some fried green maters.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Flower Garden

SmileTindomul...

Try growing them in a pot that will enable you to shower your tomato plant next time and you will never see a mite...ever.

South and East windows are perfect for tomatoes. I also have a small variety called "Table" tomato and it gets about a foot tall and is packed with tasty little cherries.

Pushin-up-Daisies...

You look like you need to join my Halloween thread...

http://www.plantswap.net/forum/f7/al...11/#post119061

Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Blade of Grass

Thanks for the info, I am planning on trying my hand at "winter tomatoes" soon.
"Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upGood Luck!

Be sure to show pictures and keep us posted on your progress here, if you do!

Showering your tomato plant consistently and regularily will not only discourage spider mites, but whitefly and aphids as well.

Sun, nutrients, good well draining soil, & regular pest control, are the four key things to be concerned about when growing tomatoes inside. It really isn't difficult at all and if you're determined to do it and pay close & special attention to your tomato plants needs, it's as easy as pie.

I intend on harvesting red delicious fruits from my winter windowsill all winter long and have done so in previous years.

I'll continue to show the plant as it grows and ripens...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Blossom

i'm gonna go ahead and try it! I want to eat my own cherry tomatoes!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs upOh goody!

Follow my advice and you surely won't go wrong! I've done this many times with great success and want to inspire others to do the same....

especially people who are tired of eating tomatoes throughout winter, purchased from the grocery store, that are red on the outside, but white on the inside...and that taste similar to sawdust!

I love too, harvesting a few fresh ones at Christmas time...makes things so special.

Tip:

Smaller determinate tomato plants are ideal for inside and easy to keep showered, but larger types will still grow and produce if given enough light. Pinch the growng tips when the plant has a large enough crop and it will focus on ripening it's existing fruits, instead of putting on new growth.

Good luck, everyone!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Blossom

What are small determinate tomatoes?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Flower Garden

CoolIndeterminate vs. Determinate...

Indeterminate tomatoes are the huge never ending vine types that grow on forever, and are meant for outdoors in the garden.

Determinate tomatoes are the small, bush-type tomato plants, ideal for container growing and suitable for indoors.

Hope this clarifies.

Took this shot this morning...

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Blossom

Thanks!! I didn't know there were such differences. I am going to look for some seeds now. By any chance are cherry tomatoes determinate? I'll look this stuff up, thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Flower Garden

Thumbs downNo, unfortunately...

Cherry tomatoes are usually Inderterminate varieties and huge, however there are special Determinate types available...even ones that only get a foot tall!

"Table" is an excellent small 1 foot tall cherry type that's perfect for inside in a small pot.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Forest

Smile

I have dont it many times in my south hall window. Till white fly took over an I quit.. Lots of work.
bali
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Flower Garden

SmileIt can be a lot of work if...

you don't take special care to look after the plant and protect it from insects.

Showering your tomato plant consistently and regularily will not only discourage spider mites, but whitefly and aphids as well.

Sun, nutrients, good well draining soil, & regular pest control, are the four key things to be concerned about when growing tomatoes inside. It really isn't difficult at all and if you're determined to do it and pay close attention to your tomato plants needs, it's as easy as pie.

I intend on harvesting red delicious fruits from my winter windowsill all winter long and have done so in previous years.

Here's another shot I took today...

I'll show more when things begin to ripen...

Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Flower Garden

TalkingHoping for some ripe ones soon...

The largest one looks as though it will turn red soon...

Closed Thread
-->